Morning swim...

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
We almost missed this guy swimming by, as all eyes were on the horizon in search of Polar bears, however he didn't quite escape our eagle eyes...

He swam almost completely around our small vessel, just curious of what we were and the smells again emanating from this shape. The shot doesn't quite reflect the water conditions as we were surrounded by floating pack ice in various shapes & sizes and so, yes take shots, but waiting for both the look and having the water clear of any ice fragments paid off. Here I used my trusty Flexline ball head which gave the perfect smooth tracking/support to the 500. I have used this for the last 20 months and it's been a great asset and travelling companion.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) swimming
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 500f/4MKII plus 1.4ext Flexline ball head & Gitzo tripod
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO2500 +1EV
Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by Carol Clarke on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:17 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Good to catch one swimming, and I like the head turn and inquisitive but wary look its giving you as it paddles by with a nice little bow wave.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:34 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
The 'bow wave' was a nice addition for sure.  :) 

by Lerkes on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:02 am
Lerkes
Lifetime Member
Member #:00178
Pretty cool to see one swimming so close to you. Are these bears used to seeing people and pretty comfortable? Looking forward to seeing more from your trip.

Steve
Steven J Berkowitz, VMD
Kirkwood, PA
http://www.pbase.com/lerkes

by Paul Fusco on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:47 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Steve,
This is just a killer image!
Beautiful color tones, nice smooth water and perfect exposure. I also love the "bow wave."
Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by Steve Kaluski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
'Are these bears used to seeing people and pretty comfortable?'

Hi Steven, there is no way of knowing what bears may encounter 'ships' within the Svalbard archipeligo and so I would say, no they are not. You generally have two types of bears, ones that do not tolerate any vessel coming close, they just keep their distance and if an unexperienced captain persists, they would just simply run. Our captain has over 30 years experience and if you know how to manoeuvre and approach the bears without stressing them and quietly come to a halt, the curiosity will always get the better of them and they will always come to investigate, coming right up to the ship within 2m in some instances. This is not like Churchill, our vessel sleeps 10-12 folk and can access a lot of the areas compared to perhaps the slightly bigger 70+ ships, this is why I alway love working on this ship, it's great.

When I am back next week I will try and add a shot of the environment in which we sail, and make our way through the pack ice, this will hopefully illustrate just how difficult it is to locate these bears as they roam free, have NO territories and love to swim. I think the record was over 900 miles swiming!!!

Folk have to move quietly and not run on board and dropping any bit of kit on deck could easily spook these animals and they hate metallic noises. I shoot stills, my wife video and we have one clip where a young bear actually walks up on the pack ice to the bow of the ship and in one gentle stoke of the tongue, licks the bow and then runs 10-12m, obviously the taste was not to it's liking, but as I said, these bears are curious animals...

Finally, any landing requires a guide to carry a fire arm just in case and all landings are met with a quick patrol of the area just in case.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

by Steve Kaluski on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Cheers Paul, much appreciated.

by Craig Lipski on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:43 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I rarely visit this forum because I’m jealous of everybody who gets to post here. This shot popped up on the Home Page as an EP, and I had to look. Wow, fabulous, great job. I love it.

by Steve Kaluski on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:53 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Thank you Craig.

by Steve Kaluski on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:54 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Also - a Big thanks To Carol in nominating the image too.  :)

by owlseye on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Stunning photo Steve... the mix of calm water and lovely reflection make for a beautifully unique image.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:32 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Such a wonderful shot-the expression is priceless. Thanks for all the explanations as well. I do hope there has never been an occasion where the gun is needed....it would be a very sad consequence of our human interference. Perhaps a shot in the air is sufficient?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Steve Kaluski on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:42 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Cynthia, I gather there has been less than a handful of times where a round has been fired, but only in a 'scare' tactic. We also had a Scientist traveling with us who has been studying PB's for over 40 years, living with them for a number of times too, but with only a large stick to ward off any bear curiosity. Understanding the behaviour is absolutely key, irrespective of the animal in question and so, hopefully the tide is turning and where in the future the rifle will be replaced with a very long stick. It works with the Forest guards in India protecting Tigers and so using it with PB's isn't so daft.

It's the Trophy Hunters and sale of skins that focus is now being turn to.

13 posts |