Elephant Charge

Posted by shreyas yadav on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
During the Safari, we saw two adult elephants and one calf. One adult elephant took the calf inside the forest while other elephant did mock charge towards the jeep and then returned to the forest.
 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Instead of telephoto, I used a wide-angle lens here. Wanted to photograph the animal its habitat. 

Nikon D7100 + Nikon 12-24 f/4 
Exif: ISO 900, f/4, 1/200 s 
Adobe Lightroom Used for post-processing 

While using Nikon 12-24 f/4 I am observing grainy images - Such as luminance noise. Also the images are not sharp. In this image also you can see the same phenomenon. Looks like I am missing something while photographing. Any suggestions on this? 

Thank you  
Shreyas 

Posted by:
shreyas yadav
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 am
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The charge would be scary. I really like the habitat in this image. Dave makes some good points below.

Last edited by Ron Day on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by david fletcher on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:07 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Hi Shreyas.  You haven't said whether the vehicle engine was running, but I guess if they are mock charging that may be the case.  

either way, you are trying to capture action at 1/200 which is not going to happen to give you crisp images, even if the focus is good, due to subject movement.  What you might have here is a dose of subject movement and vibration from the vehicle if I am correct with the engine running.  

I have owned a D7100 and you can get crisp images at 3200 ISO.  (don't pixel peep at 100% as at 3200 it'll be what's expected but downsized for the internet, is perfectly acceptable).  CRESTIE    subject wasn't moving, but only stayed there for less than a second. 

Biggest single failing in sharp images is less the lens and focus, which is rarer, but still does happen, and can still  impact; but subject or camera movement.  the only combat is stabilisation via support or shutter speed which reduces subject movement during exposure.  (excluding a defect lens or sloppy focusing). 

I'd up the Iso in these circumstances to give you a better shutter speed.  Can't comment on the luminance noise but that is correctable in processing. (don't see the other comments as relative to you, but may help others that read the post).  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mike in O on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:34 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
With the charge, maybe you were shaking from the adrenaline rush. An elephant doesn't look so big in his habitat, nice capture

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Dave makes some good points and I would certainly think a higher ISO in the dark forest, a steady hand or support - extremely difficult when trying to keep distance between you and a charging elephant! and faster SS. I have been charged by a huge bull African Elephant, who didn't give up for well over a mile through the forest - it was only thanks to an excellent driver that he didn't catch us as we weaved through the forest with hearts thumping. There was no way I could have attempted to hold a camera and take a shot as we spent most of the journey on two wheels......

I do love your wider view, Shreyas, it gives the perfect feel to what its like meeting elephants in the forest!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:59 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Agree with the previous comments -a difficult shot, and perhaps a scary one. Nice idea to include the habitat.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by shreyas yadav on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 am
shreyas yadav
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Hi Shreyas.  You haven't said whether the vehicle engine was running, but I guess if they are mock charging that may be the case.  

either way, you are trying to capture action at 1/200 which is not going to happen to give you crisp images, even if the focus is good, due to subject movement.  What you might have here is a dose of subject movement and vibration from the vehicle if I am correct with the engine running.  

I have owned a D7100 and you can get crisp images at 3200 ISO.  (don't pixel peep at 100% as at 3200 it'll be what's expected but downsized for the internet, is perfectly acceptable).  CRESTIE    subject wasn't moving, but only stayed there for less than a second. 

Biggest single failing in sharp images is less the lens and focus, which is rarer, but still does happen, and can still  impact; but subject or camera movement.  the only combat is stabilisation via support or shutter speed which reduces subject movement during exposure.  (excluding a defect lens or sloppy focusing). 

I'd up the Iso in these circumstances to give you a better shutter speed.  Can't comment on the luminance noise but that is correctable in processing. (don't see the other comments as relative to you, but may help others that read the post).  
Hi David , 
Thank you for the inputs . Yes the engine was running ( idle ) hence that is the cause of vibration and elephant came with speed. 

I will try with higher shutter speed and steady support on my next wildlife safari. 

Thanks a alot . 

Shreyas 

by shreyas yadav on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:36 am
shreyas yadav
Forum Contributor
Thank you all for kind words and Inputs!

8 posts |