Male Lion

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
After around an hour of trying to track the pride, we eventually found them in the dry river bed, doing what Lions always do - sleep!!!

Carefully we drove around trying to avoid the various members 'peppering' the surrounding area, concealed by the tall grasses. We then parked up a slight distance away and waited for some movement, as it was evident by the swollen bellies they had feasted in the night. Most of the action was just stretching, yawning or just rolling onto one another, but for a brief second one of the males looked up towards us, knowing full well where we were, but decided just to check us out.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting and thank you Carol for nominating the last image.

Steve

Subject: Male Lion (Panthera leo)
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII 
Lens: 500f/4MKII plus 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/800s at f/9 ISO1600
Original format: Portrait, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by John Spreitzer on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:00 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Beautiful light here! Some may consider this a bit tight but works for me.
John

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:15 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I don't mind the tight framing, I have some lion headshots like this myself. :)   While the light is nice, I wish it wasn't full in those tawny eyes to the point where the pupils disappear (I know there is a tiny dot in one eye).  To me, in such an intimate portrait, the eyes - and the expressions in them are so important.  Just my 2 pennies worth, Steve.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094
'I wish it wasn't full in those tawny eyes to the point where the pupils disappear (I know there is a tiny dot in one eye).  To me, in such an intimate portrait, the eyes - and the expressions in them are so important.  '

Hi Carol, like humans, when animals look directly into the sun they often close their eyes, so this was about as close as you could get with eyes open. If I moved the vehicle then depending on the lioness I may have found the light racking in from the side creating more harsher light, so kept to this, however this was a fleeting head up, as no sooner was he up, that he was back down for another 20 winks, but I know what you mean. 

It's like when you have subjects walking towards you in the same light and folk are busily firing off huge amounts of frames and I just say, watch through the viewfinder and fire only when you see the eyes, saves a lot of deletions.

Back to colder climates in August so no worries on strong light - hopefully.  :)

by joem on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am
joem
Forum Contributor
Beautiful detail & light Steve.

by Paul Fusco on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:07 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Great image! Awesome light!

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio