Waiting for Collarwali

Posted by John Spreitzer on Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Pench National Park, India

Our driver/guide had gotten word that tigress Collarwali(currently raising 4 young cubs) had taken down a sambar deer and had dragged it out of view in another part of the reserve. He drove quickly to the area and positioned the vehicle where he thought she would come out after feeding and proceed to the nearby waterhole.
Initially around 15 vehicles had gathered at various points along the road waiting/hoping for her to emerge. As it was getting late in the day and exit is required from the park at 6:45, several vehicles needed to depart so they could exit at their designated gate in time.
We had a bit of a window left to still be able to make it to our gate ... suddenly my son says 'here she comes', now heading straight towards us, our hearts racing, a moment both of us will treasure forever.  We exited the gate, many many photos and about a half hour later, at exactly 6:45.  Thank you Allwin!

Nikon D500 with Tamron 150-600 G2 at 400 handheld, resting on beanbag (VC on)
1/250 sec, F6, ISO 800 (Auto)

Please click on image for larger, uncompressed version.
John

Posted by:
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Thu May 02, 2019 9:12 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What a great sighting, John! You can see she's a nursing mother and the alert pose is beautifully captured with just enough implied leg movement to suggest forward motion. Excellent detail in the soft light, and well worth a click for the uncompressed view. What a wonderful experience.

Well done!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Thu May 02, 2019 10:03 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094
Hi John, nice sighting, the open mouth and alert pose adds. If this is FF then moving the framing down a fraction so you have more below would be better. Taking the blue down in saturation will provide a better looking white fur.

TFS
Steve

by John Spreitzer on Fri May 03, 2019 7:34 am
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the comments! Steve, thanks for the processing suggestions!
John

by Steve Kaluski on Fri May 03, 2019 8:24 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094
If you need any help John, drop me a line - happy to help. :)

by david fletcher on Sat May 04, 2019 2:27 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
super sighting John. Must have been a great experience.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Karl Egressy on Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Great find and image.

by david fletcher on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Steve Kaluski wrote:Hi John, nice sighting, the open mouth and alert pose adds. If this is FF then moving the framing down a fraction so you have more below would be better. Taking the blue down in saturation will provide a better looking white fur.

TFS
Steve

Or cropping a sliver off the top, and a tiny bit on the right...  Wouldn't change the processing John.  That's related to what you saw and felt and is enjoyable as is presented by you.  Man, I'd love one like this.  Congrats...  

Centuries ago, I bought into Tamron.  Had a 300 F5.6 which I paired to a Minolta SRT 101.  (and a 90 Macro).  Actually won a prize in a competition for taking a picture of a Moose in Sweden, near Lake Vattern, on GAF 500 which in the late 70's was OMG territory.  (In my twenties then)..   Good lenses... Can see that on your pairing with the D500 John.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

8 posts |