"Campari" and family

Posted by Marc on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:33 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
6.46am and Campari, mother to 3 x 5 month old cubs (one behind the mound) is up early and ready to start the day on the open plains of Namiri- Serengeti, TZ.

Nikon D5
Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR
f/5.6
1250s
ISO1250
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

Posted by:
Marc
Forum Contributor

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Gorgeous! I love the eye contact with two of them.
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Very pleasing image. Nice colors and comp. Beautiful animals.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Fantastic photo.

by Carol Clarke on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:20 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
She's a beauty, Marc! I just hope some of the three survived. Do you know if the survival rate for cheetah cubs on the Serengeti Plains is any better than it used to be ? I know that a few years ago the mortality rate was about 90%, and more recently about 70%, mostly due to Lion predation. I was wondering if you knew how things were now.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by John Spreitzer on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:52 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Love the positioning here and the eye contact!
John

by david fletcher on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:27 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Superb arrangement Marc. Congratulations
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Gary Gulash on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Wonderful composition. I like the eye contact and body postures of the three. I'm sure they didn't sustain this position for long, so nice timing!

by Marc on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:03 pm
Marc
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:She's a beauty, Marc!  I just hope some of the three survived.  Do you know if the survival rate for cheetah cubs on the Serengeti Plains is any better than it used to be ?   I know that a few years ago the mortality rate was about 90%, and more recently about 70%, mostly due to Lion predation.  I was wondering if you knew how things were now.

Carol.

Many thanks Carol

I do keep in close touch with Dennis Minja from Serengeti Cheetah Project, and the cub mortality statistics for Serengeti have always hovered around 90%, (at least in my 38yrs travelling here... I guess your 70% figure may have been a brief satistic anomaly?) and this is still the current figure having just traveled with him whilst he gives lectures around the various camps in Serengeti ( I contriibute images for their research) with the majority of cubs falling to Hyena & Lion, (inexperienced mothers). There are a lot of very good mum's doing well who regulary see 2/3 cubs to maturity, back in 2010 "Shingo" from the Mara saw all of her 6 cubs to maturity, what a brilliant mum she was!
During this trip, I closely followed 2 females (Campari & Keziah) both with 3 cubs, 5 & 6 mth old respectively (as of Dec) and all 6 are still alive and doing well.
Sadly though, total overall numbers are now down to between 6500-7000.
Having said that, of all the areas throughout Africa, the greater Mara/Serengeti ecosystem is still a stronghold for cheetah, with numbers remaining reasonably steady, whereas in Namibia, RSA have seen noticeable decreases.

Cheers
Marc
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

by Dan Kearl on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Just off the charts, even for someone like you...
Soft light, and the BG is just terrific to set off the Beautiful cats..
Awesome work.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:53 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Marc wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:She's a beauty, Marc!  I just hope some of the three survived.  Do you know if the survival rate for cheetah cubs on the Serengeti Plains is any better than it used to be ?   I know that a few years ago the mortality rate was about 90%, and more recently about 70%, mostly due to Lion predation.  I was wondering if you knew how things were now.

Carol.

Many thanks Carol

I do keep in close touch with Dennis Minja from Serengeti Cheetah Project, and the cub mortality statistics for Serengeti have always hovered around 90%, (at least in my 38yrs travelling here... I guess your 70% figure may have been a brief satistic anomaly?) and this is still the current figure having just traveled with him whilst he gives lectures around the various camps in Serengeti ( I contriibute images for their research) with the majority of cubs falling to Hyena & Lion, (inexperienced mothers). There are a lot of very good mum's doing well who regulary see 2/3 cubs to maturity, back in 2010 "Shingo" from the Mara saw all of her 6 cubs to maturity, what a brilliant mum she was!
During this trip, I closely followed 2 females (Campari & Keziah) both with 3 cubs, 5 & 6 mth old respectively (as of Dec) and all 6 are still alive and doing well.
Sadly though, total overall numbers are now down to between 6500-7000.
Having said that, of all the areas throughout Africa, the greater Mara/Serengeti ecosystem is still a stronghold for cheetah, with numbers remaining reasonably steady, whereas in Namibia, RSA have seen noticeable decreases.

Cheers
Marc

Thanks Marc,

Its good to hear there are some success stories with these beautiful animals, but so sad that overall we are still looking at around 90% mortality rate for the cheetah cubs.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:43 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Gorgeous photo-such elegant cats, and a lovely portrayal. I'm sad to read about the high mortality rate-hard to imagine-they look so strong and healthy.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by dandc on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 am
dandc
Forum Contributor
A WOW shot of some beautiful animals! Couldn't have asked for a better pose.
Dan 
Trying to share it as I see it . . .

13 posts |