Start of a hunt

Posted by drewkleine on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Hours upon hours I've spent the last two weeks on photographing coyotes. Or should I say lack there of. Coyotes in my neck of the woods are hunted very hard. Because I live smack in the middle of arguably the best trophy whitetail deer hunting in the country, coyotes get a bad rap. They are seen as killers of fawns in the spring, and often take down exhausted bucks after rut in the winter, hunters want to protect their precious whitetail. This makes photographing them EXTREMELY difficult, as they are very savvy on their environments. No Yellowstone dog walking here. In probably 50 hours the past two weeks, this is the one manageable photo I've gotten, believe it or not. At 300 yards, I'm laying prone, camo'd in clothing AND I picked grasses to lay over gear and myself. STILL this coyote can pick me out at that distance. Honestly, it drives my desire even more to photograph such an incredibly adaptable and smart creature. Evening sunset with a dash of clouds made for some very nice light. 

EOS R
600mm is ii + 1.4exiii
f/5.6
1/800
iso 250

Posted by:
drewkleine
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
How anyone can 'trophy hunt' a living creature is beyond my comprehension, Drew. No wonder these coyotes are so wary. Although this one has detected your presence, perhaps it needs to learn to run for cover rather than stand and stare in this nice evening light.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:41 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Carol Clarke wrote:How anyone can 'trophy hunt' a living creature is beyond my comprehension, Drew.  No wonder these coyotes are so wary.  Although this one has detected your presence, perhaps it needs to learn to run for cover rather than stand and stare in this nice evening light.

Carol.

Plus one.  and thanks for the info too. 
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:38 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Nice work you put in to capture this image, Drew. Well done!

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:57 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Your story is a sad one and the photo tells it well-you can see how wary this coyote might be, keeping a distance from you-I hope it survives. Humans seem to habitually upset the balance of nature. Good luck in you continued search.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Pralay Lahiry on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 am
Pralay Lahiry
Forum Contributor
Trophy hunting is a disease which needs to be treated surgically....your story tells the sad state of affairs.

6 posts |