Lioness Mk II

Posted by david fletcher on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
Sorry to bother.   Was asked recently if I had any more of the series.  processed today.  previous image taken with Lioness facing away.  Moved back slightly for a similar but tiny bit wider view which caught her attention.  Almost all the same techs but shot at 1/160 F4 ISO 1000 on a  D300.  500 Af-S II.  (first image at 1/200.  )

Image taken in Nakuru NP, Kenya.  Yellow Fever trees..  not normally associated with Lion climbers unlike the Lions in Tanzania... but guess actually, it's our perception they won't climb being at fault rather than location of any Lions....

Please feel free to view uncompressed.  Processing changed from original series.  Thanks for looking.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by Ron Day on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Excellent pose, perch, and processing, Dave. Great exposure and detail too. The background habitat provides a good sense of place. And the tip of the tail hanging down is a wonderful finishing touch. Excellent work!

by kiran on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 pm
kiran
Lifetime Member
Member #:01246
Dave, I love this photograph, it should be a wall hanger, if not already.  "Timeless" is what I call this series.
The unique backdrop is spectacular, unmistakably Lake Nakuru. The sense of elevation/altitude that this image conveys is just stupendous and makes one wonder in awe, how a Big Cat other than a Leopard could get so high up !

Everything is perfect, the techs, the comp, colors, lighting, and that hanging tail makes it even more complete.

The first photo from this series that you posted many years ago (10 or so) is what made me visit Kenya and Lake Nakuru. I have been trying to shoot something like this for years, but I have to admit that I have been unsuccessful. And I am glad, because any attempt of mine cannot come close to this image's perfection.
THE NATURE EXPLORER LLC.  Wildlife Safaris and Adventure Travel.  kiran@thenatureexplorer.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I love this. Great enviro/habitat shot.

by david fletcher on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm
david fletcher
Guys.  My many thanks for your thoughts and time to comment.  (not done the Topaz AI Giga but this image is on the short-list to do a 6' x 4' print).  Amongst a few others lol.   Gonna happen.  (special memories).  

Just want to say thank you so much for commenting and your thoughts.  

NSN00525

by John Spreitzer on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:27 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
What a fantastic shot! Love the background. The gaze and hanging tail are splendid. A truly wonderful capture in my book. Congrats !
John

by Marc on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 pm
Marc
Forum Contributor
Love the yellow fever tree habitat BG and pose from this lioness, and remember this set well.

Are you not able to get to Africa as much these days?

TFS
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

by david fletcher on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:11 pm
david fletcher
Marc wrote:Love the yellow fever tree habitat BG and pose from this lioness, and remember this set well.

Are you not able to get to Africa as much these days?

TFS

Marc..  I'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment.  My heart would go next week... Probably am two years away from being able... it's a proper bummer because my soul lies there, but I always like to think that I can manipulate that and get back on the honey track... TF commenting

NSN00525

Last edited by david fletcher on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
That’s the way it’s done! Must be clicked on to be fully appreciated.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Paul Rossi on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 pm
Paul Rossi
Forum Contributor
I haven't view a lot of lion images but this one is special - in all respects.
Paul Rossi personal website: https://paulrossibirds.com/
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/beautifulbirdseup/

by Carol Clarke on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Yes, Lions do like climbing trees, especially when there's a nice resting/sleeping surface where they can watch out for prospective prey. I remember your first one from this encounter and this is another beauty! Wonderful image with almost 3D effect.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What more can I say? This is superb, as so many have mentioned. I hope you get your wish to go back ...selfishly, so we can see more like this! ;)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:48 am
david fletcher
Cynthia Crawford wrote:What more can I say? This is superb, as so many have mentioned. I hope you get your wish to go back ...selfishly, so we can see more like this! ;)
All, just want to say I appreciate your thoughts and time.  

Thanks Cindy.  Since a career move in 2010, the motor industry sucks up time like nothing.  That and my daughter is at Uni, and my son soon to go, means priority's change.  Small and temporary position, but am comfortable even though their is an itch that needs to be scratched... Hope that makes sense.  As I said,  i'd go back in heart beat.... besides, I have all these lovely safari outfits from Orvis that I haven't had a chance to wear for a bit, so is gonna happen..  :)

NSN00525

by Mako_Elite on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Very nice image David! I rarely see lions in the tress. I see pictures of Leopards on the branches all the time, but lions is a treat to see.
I am sure they capable to climb if they really want or need.

Ludo

by Lerkes on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm
Lerkes
Lifetime Member
Member #:00178
Love how you pulled out a bit to get the trees in the background. Must be clicked on to fully appreciate. Steve
Steven J Berkowitz, VMD
Kirkwood, PA
http://www.pbase.com/lerkes

by clement on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:54 pm
clement
Forum Contributor
WOW what an amazing picture here Dave..

16 posts |