Hide and Seek

Posted by drewkleine on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
I had this shot in mind all fall. The CRP prairie grass is very dense and tall, and I wanted to show an intimate image of a buck concealing himself in it. This meant getting close, really close, so that the grass didn't completely muddle him out, but left just enough to show a little concealment and a touch of sharpness. Not easy, especially when you add in 5 weeks of hunting pressure. After several days spent patiently waiting I got lucky this weekend. I'm happy with the result. Taken at 15 yards 

5D Mrk IV
600mm is ii + 1.4iii ext handheld
f/5.6 manual focus
1/1600 -1/3
iso 1600

Posted by:
drewkleine
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:46 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I always feel that if nothing else, the eyes need to be clear and sharp in an image like this, which isn't quite achieved here - but it certainly does show how well they blend in with the prairie grass.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:31 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
The grasses do make an interesting view- beautifully matched in color to the buck. I like the mood and how close you feel to the animal. Really quite lovely. Perhaps you could correct the deer's right eye? Doesn't bother me a lot, but Carol has a point about the eyes.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ed Cordes on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:51 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I agree with Carol and Cindy. However, I really like what you have achieved in depicting the mystery of the hiding deer. I do feel as if I am only a few feet away.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Cindy Marple on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:35 am
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I like this a lot. You really managed the distance and DOF well to give just enough detail in the grasses to have a sense of vertical movement, but without competing with or overly obscuring the subject. It very much gives me a sense of being right there peeking at him in his hiding spot. The colors are soft and complementary, nice even light. It pays to have a vision and the patience to execute it well.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by david fletcher on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Glad you are happy Drew.  That in the end of the day is all that matters.  Best bit, is that you were there and spent that time in the field.  I'd be happy with that too. And you used a 600 too.  Respect.  (nearly always have to there with a  600 on the other side of that pond.   LOL

Re the image, i'm sort of torn between Carol and Cindy.  I'm a lover of trying to show something that is just not a portrait and something about it's life so lurking in the grass works... but,,.... it's presented as a portrait and I'm also a eyes sharp dude too, so I have conflicting thoughts. (I can quite happily show no eyes, but there are many ways to show behaviour).
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

6 posts |