Polar Bear on walkabout

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
This young guy was patrolling the shoreline, occasionally giving us the slip and occasionally spooking us by being a little closer than we wanted to be. We had spotted him swimming, but by the time we caught up with him he was almost walking onto shore, sadly I had missed the shaking of the coat to dry off.

If you ever think Svalbard is a pristine archipelago, then think again, it's one of the most polluted areas of land on this planet and on every shore landing we spend an hour or so cleaning up and taking all the rubbish back on board ship. Shot from a zodiac.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus Maritimus) walking on the shore
Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
Lens: 500mm f/4 MKII HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/5.6 ISO1250
Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top, almost FF width
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2018

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by Carol Clarke on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I don't think there are many places left that man hasn't polluted in varying degrees, Steve. A nice capture of this handsome PB striding along the shore.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:26 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
'I don't think there are many places left that man hasn't polluted in varying degrees, Steve.'

How true Carol, but a very sad indictment on 'Mankind' considering we are supposedly the 'intelligent' species.

by Carol Clarke on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:04 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Steve Kaluski wrote:'I don't think there are many places left that man hasn't polluted in varying degrees, Steve.'

How true Carol, but a very sad indictment on 'Mankind' considering we are supposedly the 'intelligent' species.

I'm glad you said, supposedly, Steve.  :( 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:33 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
May be as I get older Carol, I'm less rebellious, but saddened with the sights I have seen/witnessed, especially from the July trip in SA, with regard to Elephant & Rhino, it breaks your heart.

I'm hoping that working in December with two great conservationists, I will see a change in the Tiger situation, lets all try to stay optimistic.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:26 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
So beautiful, and a sad story too. Maybe we should post more pictures of wildlife in the "junk" to make a point.......(though I wouldn't really want to see that here. Not denial, just aesthetics, I guess).
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Steve Kaluski on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:03 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
'Maybe we should post more pictures of wildlife in the "junk" to make a point.'

I think perhaps Sir David Attenborough has made the 'ultimate' piece to camera Cindy highlighting this issue and yes, a few folk are doing something, however there are also some folk who choose to deny that it it actually exists. I'm back again next year and WILL make a point to try and shoot some images with 'junk' in view, but I think most of us already feel & know, that it's now or never to do something about it. However, I think you too have been here and possibly witnessed how this has become the 'trash/garbage yard' of most of the worlds junk.

BTW Have you seen Nick Brandt's work and the 'Elephant in the landfill' - very telling and thought provoking!

Cheers
Steve

PS Sorry to get up on my soap box, but seeing some of the carnage to Rhino's & Elephants done in SA it's hard not to be passionate. 

7 posts |