Elephant Seal

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
Elephant Seal - San Simeon, California
a7R III, 100-400mm @ 282mm, ISO 640, f/7.1, 1/2000s

I had so much fun photographing Elephant Seals for the first time since my trip to the Falkland Islands more than 8 years ago.  I never realized how much photographic opportunity there was for these creatures so close to home.  While you can't just walk amongst them like you can in the Falklands, with nothing more than a 100-400mm lens there are massive opportunities at San Simeon and Piedras Blancas.  While there are tons of people at San Simeon, a bit up the road at Piedras Blancas there is almost nobody.  But even at SDan Simeon, since there is a barrier you can't cross, there is no problem with people getting in the shot and the vast majority of people are just making a quick stop as the drive up the Pacific Coast Highway.  I'll probably regret writing all of this as it will become inundated with photographers :o

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Ron Day on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:20 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Thanks for the information and the great shot, EJ. The detail really stands out when viewed large.

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Looks like you found Mr. Magoo! What a profile, and you're right, they probably won't get any peace now.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

3 posts |