Leopard high on a tree, yawning

Posted by venkatmangudi on Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
We spotted this beautiful lady on a branch about 30 feet high. After a while she got bored of all the attention from the 20 photographers in various jeeps. She yawned, stretched, tried to sleep and then gave up. She just left for a more secluded branch, I guess.
My galleries are at Smugmug and Flickr

Posted by:
venkatmangudi
Forum Contributor

by Marc on Tue May 22, 2018 10:01 am
Marc
Forum Contributor
Nicely seen Venkat, I gather this was taken in Sri Lanka?
Yawning in cats isn't a sign of boredom, it's (usually) an indication of a start of a particualr activity, be it an intention to hunt, drink, back to cubs, etc.
Not sure the negative lower space adds anything here, would be tempted to pull the crop in from the bottom.

TFS
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

Last edited by Marc on Wed May 23, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Carol Clarke on Tue May 22, 2018 4:23 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Welcome to Naturescapes, and Wildlife, Venkat!

A very nice first post showing classic Leopard behaviour and how at home they are in the trees. She pops beautifully from the forest setting and a click on the image shows the lovely detail you captured. Is this in India? We look forward to more from you.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by venkatmangudi on Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 am
venkatmangudi
Forum Contributor
Marc wrote:Nicely seen Venkat, I gather this was taken in Sri Lanka?
Yawning in cats isn't a sign of boredom, it's (usually) an indication of a start of a particualr activity, be it an intention to hunt, drink, back to cubs, etc.
Not sure the negative lower space adds anything here, would be tempted to pull the crop in from the bottom.

TFS
This is in South India. The Nagarhole National Park is home to around 370 leopards. I assumed that she wanted to rest and was yawning as a result. I could be wrong. Maybe she wanted to get away from us. :-)

by venkatmangudi on Thu May 24, 2018 5:08 am
venkatmangudi
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Welcome to Naturescapes, and Wildlife, Venkat!

A very nice first post showing classic Leopard behaviour and how at home they are in the trees.  She pops beautifully from the forest setting and a click on the image shows the lovely detail you captured.  Is this in India?  We look forward to more from you.

Carol.
Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, this is in India. I'm glad you like the picture.

5 posts |