Lion pride

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Another capture from the pride of Lions I had the pleasure to spend time with in Bots, seven glorious days with. 

Shot early in the morning, around 6.40am in some nice warm light. The two females were alert, on the hunt for breakfast as the young cubs played on the termite mound. How did I know they were on the hunt, half an later the two females ambushed a large male warthog.

Just my thoughts:
- The branch of vegetation touching the females RH face as viewed is what it is, unfortunate, but... no chance of moving the vehicle as the other sub adults were playing around the vehicle. Around 7-8 youngsters of various ages with two gorgeous females.

- The other branch covering the yawing cub is also unfortunate, but no a dealer breaker as you can see the mouth and partial tongue 

- The highlight on the females collar is not blown, but in the hi res there is more detail as expected

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion pride (Panthera leo) 
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO2500
Original format: Landscape, cropped slightly
Processed via: LR Classic CC & PSCC2018

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by Carol Clarke on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:34 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Nice clear view of the fg female - she's a beauty!  While the two out of focus in the bg could be a nice addition, the branch of vegetation appearing to touch across the mouth of the second cub rather spoils it for my tastes, Steve.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
While the two out of focus in the bg could be a nice addition, the branch of vegetation appearing to touch across the mouth of the second cub rather spoils it for my tastes, Steve.

Interesting Carol. 

As I said in my intro, I feel it's not a deal breaker and decided to use this frame rather than ones prior or post where the cub isn't yawning as the strong focus is to me, still on the female. Perhaps I should have used another frame and so reduce any conflict between the two? :)

by Carol Clarke on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Steve Kaluski wrote:
While the two out of focus in the bg could be a nice addition, the branch of vegetation appearing to touch across the mouth of the second cub rather spoils it for my tastes, Steve.

Interesting Carol. 

As I said in my intro, I feel it's not a deal breaker and decided to use this frame rather than ones prior or post where the cub isn't yawning as the strong focus is to me, still on the female. Perhaps I should have used another frame and so reduce any conflict between the two? :)

I can only say what I feel when looking at a shot, Steve.  Its just the position of that pesky green branch........I'm sure others may think differently.  :wink:
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:50 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Absolutely Carol, as we all see things differently from both the Photographers persecutive and the Viewer/readers POV.

5 posts |