Cub's POV

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
OK, so perhaps another 'marmite' shot for some folk, but to me it's again about trying to convey a scene and or POV and NOT creating yet another image we have all seen before, albeit at times it's good to have.

This was taken from a pride I had the pleasure to shadow for seven days in Botswana. The two females were in prime condition, great 'killers' but ultimately really great Mothers. Shot when the pride were all together playing/resting in the bush, but one of the females either heard or saw the next meal (although I couldn't tell or see anything) as she went into alert/stalk mode. I just like the low POV because you get the perspective from the cub looking on, but it's all is about the eye IMHO and the POV gets away from the norm and doing something different.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera leo) stalking
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 500f/4 HH & 1.4ext
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO2000 
Original format: Portrait, minimal crop, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by Cindy Marple on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:41 am
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Coming up with something that's different of a familiar subject is a good challenge, and one that's easy to forget to try. I like the intensity in her eyes and the close crop. Thanks for the reminder.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Steve Kaluski on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:27 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Cindy Marple wrote:Coming up with something that's different of a familiar subject is a good challenge, and one that's easy to forget to try.  I like the intensity in her eyes and the close crop.  Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks Cindy. 

It's oh so easy to stay in those 'comfy' slippers, but then we never really develop. Admittedly nothing is ever 'new' just a twist or spin, but I think we owe it to ourselves and try think beyond what we often see and try to take things to the next step. Yes, having the opportunity does help, but as I've alway said to others, 'once you get the shot you want in the bag, look for other alternatives in angles, format...'

Digital is a fantastic medium and costs nothing unlike the good old days of film and if it doesn't work no harm done, but you'll never know until you try it.  :)

by Carol Clarke on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:08 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I have always loved doing these type shots Steve, intimate abstracts can tell a powerful story where wildlife is concerned.  The eye of the lioness is undoubtedly the star of the show here, so with that in mind I would take a slice off the top and right, and place her eye in a much more powerful position (IMO) towards the top right corner, rather than in the centre.  But that's just me.  8) 
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Steve Kaluski on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:04 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:I have always loved doing these type shots Steve, intimate abstracts can tell a powerful story where wildlife is concerned.  The eye of the lioness is undoubtedly the star of the show here, so with that in mind I would take a slice off the top and right, and place her eye in a much more powerful position (IMO) towards the top right corner, rather than in the centre.  But that's just me.  8) 

Sorry for the late reply Carol, just gutting the London house and so flitting from one house to the other with a 400 mile round trip tends to compress time. Changed the crop and format to 10x8. On the limit LHS and at the foot.

Steve

5 posts |