Scotland's Pine Marten

Posted by robinlee on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Good day dear forumers, I recently been to remote Scotland and spent a week in the secluded area and I proudly present my first encountered wild pine marten. It is stormy condition with winds up to 70mph but that doesn't prevent the pine marten to come out and hunt for food. At this time of the year they become nocturnal which means it only comes out when darkness takes over.

As per photo attached, this is taken at total darkness with flash and camera trap setup. I used 3 flashguns, Canon 5D3, Canon 24-105mm, Yong Nuo wireless transmitter, 2x tripod, some DIY plastic for a little weather protection and IR camera trap set. With that, I can sit back by the wood burner, enjoy single malt scotch and let the nature does its job  :D however the results may vary!!

I am very glad with this trip and my very first encounter with wild pine marten and to be able to captured them as per my imagination is very rewarding. 

Apart from the night project, I also did the Jacobite steam train ride from Fort William. For any of you who are planning to visit Scotland and I highly suggest to do this train ride.

Good day.

https://flic.kr/p/FUEgyKPine Marten ( Martes martes) by Robin Lee, on Flickr

Posted by:
robinlee
Forum Contributor

by Swissblad on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:31 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
WOW - lovely image - congrats.
They are lovely animals - inquisitive and curious - but very wary of human presence - you are lucky to have come back with such a nice shot.

by Carol Clarke on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:02 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Scotland is an amazing place, and this is a very nice result from a camera trap at night!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Lillian Roberts on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:01 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
I really like this - so many trap images show the animal in a weird, off-balance pose but this is really nice on all counts. I might have been tempted to tone down (or clone out) the one blade of grass in the BG that runs behind the ear, but that's a minor nit. Me, I'd have no idea how to set up something like this so I can only sit back in envy!
Lillian Roberts
NSN Member #130

by Ron Day on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:49 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Excellent work with the night time trap. The pose is very attractive, and the lighting on the foreground boulders could not be better.

by clement on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:20 am
clement
Forum Contributor
This is an awesome job.. Lovely over all

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Great story, great light and wonderful shot! Love the intense look on it's face.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

7 posts |