Looking death in the eye

Posted by Marc on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
The leading huntress clamps her jaws over the windpipe of this daga boy (buffalo bull) her 15 member pride had taken down one morning in Selinda.

She virtually held this position for nearly an hour in between bouts of him rising to his feet 3 times.

Selinda- Botswana.

Not usually a fan of Instagram inspired square crops (in nature), but along with the dark vignetting I feel this works.
Bean bag- front pax seat, curves, levels, TK adj's conv to a slight warm toned B&W in ACR & PS CC '17.

Nikon D4s
Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR
1/1000s (yes could/should have gone higher, but happy with this speed)
f/7
ISO 1250

Cheers
Marc
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

Posted by:
Marc
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:18 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Powerful content but it would have been interesting to see the original colour shot, as for me its not obvious the b/w conversion is better in this instance, especially as you say you also added a warmer tone which mutes the crispness of the contrast ? Just my 2 pence worth Marc.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Marc on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 am
Marc
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Powerful content but it would have been interesting to see the original colour shot, as for me its not obvious the b/w conversion is better in this instance, especially as you say you also added a warmer tone which mutes the crispness of the contrast ?  Just my 2 pence worth Marc.
Thanks Carol

To me the B&W is my preference, but a colour version is worth considering also.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:49 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Thanks Marc! At least with the natural colour version its easier to make out which body parts belong to which animal, especially the lion's paw clamped on the buffalo. Both certainly have their merits but I still come down on the side of the colour shot because of the intimate and intense framing of the interaction. I am sure others will disagree/agree in their own preference.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Marc on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:40 am
Marc
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Thanks Marc!  At least with the natural colour version its easier to make out which body parts belong to which animal, especially the lion's paw clamped on the buffalo.  Both certainly have their merits but I still come down on the side of the colour shot because of the intimate and intense framing of the interaction.  I am sure others will disagree/agree in their own preference.
Point taken Carol,
it's easy for me to see what is what of course, having been there and capturing the event, so totally understand your POV.

by John Spreitzer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:42 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
Powerful image! I'd say the b/w version makes the eye stand out a bit more and gives the shot a more abstract feel.
John

6 posts |