Inquisitive pup

Posted by Steve Kaluski on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Early one morning we came a cross some Hyenas gentle trotting through the bush and quite focused, not being distracted by anything, so we decided to follow, always worth a punt. 

We shadowed them for over half an hour, going off road and through the dense thicket at times, not ideal if you are car sick!!!

As we followed them we began to all think the same thoughts, that they were heading back to the den, something the Guides & Trackers had wanted to find for a very long time. As the clan slowly came to a holt, the pups began to emerge safe from the den. As we quietly parked up and several minutes later, the older cubs found our presence inquisitive and it also gave them another lesson in not being afraid of these large shapes, smells & noises and to be relaxed in 'our' presence.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Hyena pup (Crocuta crocuta) 
Camera: Canon 1DX 
Lens: 500mm MKII with 1.4x MKIII HH
Exposure: 1/1000s at f/5.6 ISO3200 
Original format: Portrait, very small crop on the sides for presentation
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Posted by:
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Member #:02094

by Cindy Marple on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:43 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Who could resist such a cute face! Really nice portrait, with enough depth of field for nose and eyes to be sharp. I like the symmetry in the composition as presented.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Steve Kaluski on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:30 pm
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Cindy, yes at this age many cubs and pup are cute, it's when they go to Adulthood is when it all changes. 

Now that rings some bells!!! :) 

I think I'm right on the cusp of the DoF, eyes to nose, perhaps f/8 might have been better?

Thanks

by Greg Schneider on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:50 pm
Greg Schneider
Forum Contributor
Excellent portrait with lots of visual impact. You nailed the DOF and focus.
[b]Greg Schneider[/b]
Gallery: [url=http://www.gschneiderphoto.com]gschneiderphoto.com[/url] || Blog: [url=http://www.birdphotographyblog.com]birdphotographyblog.com[/url]

by Cindy Marple on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:20 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Steve Kaluski wrote:Thanks Cindy, yes at this age many cubs and pup are cute, it's when they go to Adulthood is when it all changes. 

Now that rings some bells!!! :) 

I think I'm right on the cusp of the DoF, eyes to nose, perhaps f/8 might have been better?

Thanks

If you had more light then yes, f/8 might have helped get the ears sharp as well- but I don't think I'd have wanted to sacrifice any more shutter speed or bumped up the ISO from what you have. This looks like a good compromise of settings, to me, for the light you had.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Ron Day on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:20 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
I agree, the first thing that registered when I saw this fine portrait was the depth of field. Great job!

by Neilyb on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Very nice Steve. F8 would have been better but the 1DxII cannot handle ISO6400, horrible camera... :p

by Steve Kaluski on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:25 am
Steve Kaluski
Forum Contributor
[font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]Very nice Steve. F8 would have been better but the 1DxII cannot handle ISO6400, horrible camera... :p[/font]
Spent so much time shooting with both Neil, I guess I must have over looked the 1DX's (MKI & II's) drawbacks :D, I'll let you know after 'Brutus 2'. 

8 posts |