Oryx in the dunes

Posted by kiran on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 19 posts | 
Image shot on my last Namibia photo tour in 2016. It had rained the night before (a unique experience in the Namib). Hence the natural canvas in the background. That morning, I rushed my team into the dunes yet again for a reason.

Met Artie Morris and his group in this trip. Also met a couple of very talented South African Photo Safari leaders that were with him during that time. Traveling is a wonderful and humbling experience, I have been fortunate to have met some incredible people in my travels.

5Dmk3, 100-400 v2 at 400 mm.

Regards,
Kiran
THE NATURE EXPLORER LLC.  Wildlife Safaris and Adventure Travel.  kiran@thenatureexplorer.com

Posted by:
kiran
Lifetime Member
Member #:01246

by John P on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:23 am
John P
Forum Contributor
This is fantastic, love the background and the environmental feel of the image!
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by Cindy Marple on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:11 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Stunning background, such rich colors and patterns. Really like the composition- the tree is a nice offset tot he oryx.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by david fletcher on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:07 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
this is so on the money. You are a huge talent Kiran... each image shows so..
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by kiran on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:21 pm
kiran
Lifetime Member
david fletcher wrote:this is so on the money.  You are a huge talent Kiran... each image shows so..
John and Cindy, Thanks a lot !!

Dave,
Thank you so much ! You have been a major source of inspiration and also a motivational force for me over the years, I remember it all !!! 

Glad to hear you liked the photo !

Kiran
THE NATURE EXPLORER LLC.  Wildlife Safaris and Adventure Travel.  kiran@thenatureexplorer.com

Last edited by kiran on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Morkel Erasmus on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:57 am
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
This is spectacular, Kiran.
What a great feeling the wet sand has given this.
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by paulo on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:31 am
paulo
Forum Contributor
The colours of the background are fantastic. Excelente photo

by Ron Day on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:44 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The Oryx, low in the frame, provides a great sense of scale in this image. Beautiful.

by MalcolmBenn on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:38 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
This is fantastic. I love the small in the frame but big in impact effect.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Unusual and exceptional- an amazing picture all around with those intense colors and the contrasting oryx.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by kiran on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:19 pm
kiran
Lifetime Member
Morkel, Paulo, Ron, Malcolm and Cynthia, :-)

Appreciate all the nice comments and compliments from you all !

Regards,
Kiran

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:53 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I have enjoyed your amazing images for many years now Kiran, and this is another wonderful shot!  Your use of the available elements in composing your work is always spot on and the final picture - amazing.  What a treat to see this outstanding shot, and I wonder if the other visitors you met at this location realised THEY were in the company of such a talented photographer.   Love it!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by kiran on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 pm
kiran
Lifetime Member
Carol Clarke wrote:I have enjoyed your amazing images for many years now Kiran, and this is another wonderful shot!  Your use of the available elements in composing your work is always spot on and the final picture - amazing.  What a treat to see this outstanding shot, and I wonder if the other visitors you met at this location realised THEY were in the company of such a talented photographer.   Love it!
Carol, this is a huge endorsement from you ! Thank you so much for your kind words. :-)

Like I said to Dave earlier, you, Carol, are also one of those that has motivated me throughout the years, especially in my early days on NSN.
I sincerely appreciate the encouragement and inspiration you have provided to me over the years !!

Regards,
Kiran

by Marsel on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 am
Marsel
Forum Contributor
Namibia feels like my second home, so I always enjoy seeing images from there. I really like the background here - the tree on the left and the patterns on the right, all pointing to that tree. Pose of the oryx is classic.

My only nit concerns the color balance/saturation that look a bit unnatural to me - the sand is too red and the oryx over saturated. But that's just my view - fel free to completely ignore ;-)

This year I will visit this place for the 50th time, hope to get some cooperative oryx again too!

Thanks for sharing.
Marsel van Oosten | Squiver Photo Tours

www.squiver.com

by kiran on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:35 am
kiran
Lifetime Member
Hey, Marsel, long time no see !!! So glad to get your comments and critique on the image.

Your images from Namibia is what inspired me to go to Namibia in the first place !!!  I have said this before, you are a master photographer of my generation and have really inspired a new breed of photographers !

As for the colors, I accept your critique humbly. I do want to mention that I haven't done much to this image at all. It was taken right after a rainstorm and the dune colors were muted, it was magical that morning, especially on some dunes which already vary in colors from the other dunes (not the usual orangee-red). I shamelessly took an image from the internet that shows the color variations (dune in the back) in the Namib dunes:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 2da704.jpg

Anyway, your constructive critique is always welcome and has made me better over the years.

Happy travels :-)

Kiran

by Marsel on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:46 am
Marsel
Forum Contributor
Kiran - thanks! And you're welcome :-)

The picture in that link also looks unnatural to me, so now I understand ;-) That said, there is no law that dictates how something should look, and you're free to create whatever look you want. The only reason I mentioned it, is that most people want their images to look true to real thing. But I strongly believe that photography is an art form, and in art there are no rules - you make your own.

Will you be in Namibia again this year?
Marsel van Oosten | Squiver Photo Tours

www.squiver.com

by kiran on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:58 pm
kiran
Lifetime Member
Marsel wrote: Will you be in Namibia again this year?
No, not in 2017. But in 2018, I will. I will buy you a beer whenever/wherever we meet ! 

Kiran

by Nate Chappell on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:24 pm
Nate Chappell
Forum Contributor
Member #:00835
Congrats Kiran, great image!
Nate Chappell
Texas and Ecuador

Birds and Wildlife photo workshops and tours

by david fletcher on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:28 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
kiran wrote:
david fletcher wrote:this is so on the money.  You are a huge talent Kiran... each image shows so..
John and Cindy, Thanks a lot !!

Dave,
Thank you so much ! You have been a major source of inspiration and also a motivational force for me over the years, I remember it all !!! 

Glad to hear you liked the photo !

Kiran
Kiran... just have to say that your images are on a different level.  Not wanting to over stoke your ego, (take it while you can),,,, lol... but you are also an inspiration
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

19 posts |