Getting the Look

Posted by david fletcher on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
One of those times when the urge to move on was strong.   Different version of the earlier stag.  D500 and 150-600 OS Sport combo.  1/125 F8 at 1000 Iso plus 1.33 for the fog.  Vertical available but am personally preferring the wider view as was taken with a view for the faint bg detail to add a tad of interest.  
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by Ron Day on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:35 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
What a great series, Dave! Beautiful pose of the stag in the fog, and I really like faint image of the tree seen through the fog on the right - it adds interest. I have a D500, and after viewing this series of images I'm seriously considering acquiring the Sigma lens you are using. Great work!

by david fletcher on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:55 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Ron Day wrote:What a great series, Dave!  Beautiful pose of the stag in the fog, and I really like faint image of the tree seen through the fog on the right - it adds interest. I have a D500, and after viewing this series of images I'm seriously considering acquiring the Sigma lens you are using.  Great work!

thanks for your time and thoughts Ron.  Re that lens, I must admit to being more than surprised by what it offers.  (sure I've shown a few shots over cooked recently, LOL, but that's my processing, not the lens).  Without doubt, that lens has enabled me to get shots that I would not have got with a fixed focal...  on the spot options.  As for IQ, large prints etc, the lens easily keeps up with the latest sensors.  (my fav combo for IQ is with the D800 as the detail is quite stunning.  On a  D7100 it's there... and on the D500 easily there.. just before the D810 gets replaced by Nikon, I will bag one, just because I like that look the image provides and also that the lens is more than up to the job on those bodies.  (more a case on when I want bokeh, dynamic range a D800 plops on the lens and when reach, and  a tad more bg detail is needed, the D500 will do nicely.  )...

Do I miss the bokeh effect of a 300 2.8 and 500 F4.  Not that much.  Bokeh can be engineered, by camera to subject v subject to bg distance so I can help, if not entirely replicate, as that won't happen on a lens at F5-6.3... but it will certainly do for me.  

PS.  i always treat that lens as if i'm using it at the longest focal length.... support where i can and bothered to calibrate it.  Compared with my 70-200 2.8 VR II, I cannot see a difference in IQ.    

David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cindy Marple on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I like this even better than the previous version with the foggy tree in the background - perfectly juxtaposed against the deer. Really like this!
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Ron Day on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:19 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
david fletcher wrote:
Ron Day wrote:What a great series, Dave!  Beautiful pose of the stag in the fog, and I really like faint image of the tree seen through the fog on the right - it adds interest. I have a D500, and after viewing this series of images I'm seriously considering acquiring the Sigma lens you are using.  Great work!

thanks for your time and thoughts Ron.  Re that lens, I must admit to being more than surprised by what it offers.  (sure I've shown a few shots over cooked recently, LOL, but that's my processing, not the lens).  Without doubt, that lens has enabled me to get shots that I would not have got with a fixed focal...  on the spot options.  As for IQ, large prints etc, the lens easily keeps up with the latest sensors.  (my fav combo for IQ is with the D800 as the detail is quite stunning.  On a  D7100 it's there... and on the D500 easily there.. just before the D810 gets replaced by Nikon, I will bag one, just because I like that look the image provides and also that the lens is more than up to the job on those bodies.  (more a case on when I want bokeh, dynamic range a D800 plops on the lens and when reach, and  a tad more bg detail is needed, the D500 will do nicely.  )...

Do I miss the bokeh effect of a 300 2.8 and 500 F4.  Not that much.  Bokeh can be engineered, by camera to subject v subject to bg distance so I can help, if not entirely replicate, as that won't happen on a lens at F5-6.3... but it will certainly do for me.  

PS.  i always treat that lens as if i'm using it at the longest focal length.... support where i can and bothered to calibrate it.  Compared with my 70-200 2.8 VR II, I cannot see a difference in IQ.    

Dave, thank you very much for your detailed thoughts on this lens - it's greatly appreciated!

by Karl Egressy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:53 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Beautiful image, David. Love the pose and habitat.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What a superb series Dave! A real showcase of your talent and such a pleasure to view.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

7 posts |