Bull Moose at Sunrise

Posted by Mike Eastman on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Canon EOS 7D II, EF70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 1/400 Sec at f/5.0, ISO 250, cropped, On December 23 at sunrise on the river bottom, I filmed a Wyoming bull moose moving in deep snow to a meadow to feed. At that moment, breaking over the mountains the morning glow highlights his face and antlers leaving his body in the shadows.

Posted by:
Mike Eastman
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:15 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
what a beaut!   Fabulous specimen Mike
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Last edited by david fletcher on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Gary Briney on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
A healthly specimen in action -- too bad the antlers merge with the background tree but that couldn't be helped
G. Briney

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Nice that you caught the early AM light-gives a nice glow to the picture.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:19 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The warm morning lighting on the antlers and elsewhere is a real plus, and so is the raised hoof that is kicking up snow. This handsome moose is a great specimen, but I wish I could see more of his face. :)  Were you able to get any approach shots? 

by Mike Eastman on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:23 pm
Mike Eastman
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:The warm morning lighting on the antlers and elsewhere is a real plus, and so is the raised hoof that is kicking up snow. This handsome moose is a great specimen, but I wish I could see more of his face. :)  Were you able to get any approach shots? 

Ron I didn't get a approach shoot. The bull came out of the willows to my left was a surprise to me as I was waist deep in snow. Filming a sunrise on a peak in the Absaroka Mountain range with my 5D II, Canon 28-105 f/4 on a tripod. It was a told surprise encounter lucky I was also packing on a Cotton Carrier my 7D and hand held the shoot. Not as sharp as it should be to quick a shoot as he trotted pass me in  the shade.  

by Ron Day on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:34 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Mike Eastman wrote:
Ron Day wrote:The warm morning lighting on the antlers and elsewhere is a real plus, and so is the raised hoof that is kicking up snow. This handsome moose is a great specimen, but I wish I could see more of his face. :)  Were you able to get any approach shots? 

Ron I didn't get a approach shoot. The bull came out of the willows to my left was a surprise to me as I was waist deep in snow. Filming a sunrise on a peak in the Absaroka Mountain range with my 5D II, Canon 28-105 f/4 on a tripod. It was a told surprise encounter lucky I was also packing on a Cotton Carrier my 7D and hand held the shoot. Not as sharp as it should be to quick a shoot as he trotted pass me in  the shade.  
Well, under these circumstances, I'd say you did extremely well! This additional information makes it clear just how significant this shot is. Congratulations on pulling it off - guggling two cameras in waste-deep snow. Well done, Mike!

by Vincent on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:44 pm
Vincent
Forum Contributor
Under the circumstances you mentioned... You did very well. I love the low viewing angle. I guess when you're that close to a bull moose you'll be looking up :)
Vincent Martinez
Brighton, Colorado
follow Vincent on 
Instagram: #vmartinezphoto
www.vincentmartinezphotography.com

8 posts |