RIP- Furaha, the Queen of Ruaha

Posted by Marc on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
This is the last image captured (12 hrs before her death) of a very special leopardess named Furaha which means Joy in Swahili. Lorenzo my guide and I stayed with Furaha for 7hrs (on the 29th Oct) and due to curfew had to leave her @ 7pm, there was clearly something wrong with her, but the change in her demeaner started only around 5pm, she was vomiting and disoriented, it was very sudden, and we had hoped she might improve by the morning. We drove back to where we left here first thing next morning, just beside her favourite tree to find her body, we both broke down and cried that this beautiful creature was now gone.......so terribly sad.

It appeared she died sometime before midnight. An autopsy by the vet from TANAPA (Tanzania National Parks Authority) whom we called straight away, was carried out that morning which revealed that she was NOT poisoned nor bitten by a snake, which were both our main concerns, nor had she recently given birth, which had been another concern as she appeared to be lactating, her thin body initially gave us that impression, so there was some small comfort that there were no cubs lost as well. Results of her death are still not fully known, other than her lungs, kidneys & liver had been damaged, a respiratory collapse the result. Her legacy will live on through her wonderful son Moyo who has inherited her wonderful spirit and relaxed disposition.

Over the period of my last 11 days in Ruaha, things were not quite the same.........something was gone. It was hard to drive past her tree and not get emotional.
We have both known her nearly all of her oh so short 6½ year life. She was probably the most relaxed and coolest leopard I've ever had the privilege to know.
The actual cause of death will never be really known due to TANAPA's limited resources, but it can almost be said it was a from natural causes.

Only the good die young...........RIP Furaha, the Queen of Ruaha.
HH from front pax seat, slight crop. curves. levels, TK adj's to B&W in ACR & PS CC'15.

Nikon D500
Nikkor 80-400 AF-S
1/250s FP flash -1.7EV
f/6.3
ISO100@ 80mm.

Cheers
Marc
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

Posted by:
Marc
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:24 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
That's a shame Marc, barely half of the life span she could have lived. Its so sad to lose a creature you've spent time with over the years, especially when they go before their time.

A lovely shot, she was a beauty!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:25 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Marc, a wonderful tribute to Furaha! Glad to hear her death was due to natural causes. Definitely a loss to the natural world. Incredible image! Your black and white conversion is just beautiful.

by Cindy Marple on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
What a beautiful and poignant tribute to this lovely cat. RIP Furaha.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Paul Fusco on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Very sad, Marc.
Nice B&W conversion. I'll bet the color version look just as good.
Sounds like poison to me.

P
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by Marc on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:58 am
Marc
Forum Contributor
Paul Fusco wrote:Very sad, Marc.
Nice B&W conversion. I'll bet the color version look just as good.
Sounds like poison to me.

P
Thanks Paul

If you read the full story, poison or even anthrax was a concern but after the autopsy was immediately ruled out, thankfully. :wink:

Cheers

Marc
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

by david fletcher on Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:15 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Beautiful image Marc.  The light and quality a very stark contrast to the following events.  A wonderful tribute and information shared.  Sometimes we get bogged down with it's always a brutal live/die conflict and this may show that sometimes it may be more simple than we expect.
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

7 posts |