Black Bear

Posted by WDCarrier on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Yellowstone NP, Wyoming.  In the fall black bears (and grizzlies) seek out the bristlecone pines found at highest elevations to eat the sugary cones, buffing up for winter.  Sadly, the white pine blister rust that has devastated the white pines in the lower elevations has now spread to this species.  In the area I photographed in it appeared that at least 50% of the bristlecones were dead.
Canon 7DII, 500mm + 1.4, ISO 400, f9 @ 1/160
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

Posted by:
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:25 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hi W.D.

Thanks for this one on the Black Bear life history.  I love images that tell a true story about wildlife.  Outstanding image!   

by Cindy Marple on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:46 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I didn't realize that the cones were a food source for bears, interesting! This nicely depicts it with the cones right at the snout. Good details and well composed.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Jeff Munoz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:42 pm
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
Lovely frame and great eye contact Dean!!!
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

by Missy Mandel on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 am
Missy Mandel
Forum Contributor
Member #:01973
Great description, shot & comp Dean! I would attempt to open up the shadows a bit
Missy Mandel
Toronto, Canada
Comments and critiques welcomed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/missymandel/
www.missymandel.ca
Instagram missymandel_photography

by D. Robert Franz on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:03 pm
D. Robert Franz
Forum Contributor
Very nice image! The whitebark pines in Yellowstone were hit very hard by both the blister rust and the pine bark beetles..  Biologists were very concerned that they would all be killed. Fortunately the disease and infestation has seem to have run it's course.  The cones/pine nuts are an important and highly nutritious (high in caloroies)  autumn food source for both grizzly and black bears.. I've seen both species feeding in close proximity.  Grizzlies dig up red squirrel caches and black bears climb to reach them.  The whitebark pine groves in Yellowstone  occur at elevations of 8500' and higher.  Cone crops vary greatly from year to year. This year was pretty good in Yellowstone.
Upcoming Photo Tours: "Bald Eagles of Alaska"  "Winter in Yellowstone"

Instagram #d.robertfranz

6 posts |