Cub on the beach

Posted by Andrew Mc on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Been a while since I've posted any images, but recently was fortunate enough to take a tour to Silver Salmon Creek in Alaska with D. Robert Franz. This one was taken on the beach, where the cubs were out with their mother digging for clams (well, they were trying...).

Canon 7D Mark II, 100-400 Mark II.
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

Posted by:
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043

by Carol Clarke on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:51 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Nice action and a sweet cub Andrew, more room all around would be better and I'm not sure leaving the hind feet of the other bear in the frame adds anything in this instance.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Andrew Mc on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:57 am
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
Carol Clarke wrote:Nice action and a sweet cub Andrew, more room all around would be better and I'm not sure leaving the hind feet of the other bear in the frame adds anything in this instance.

I agree Carol, however this is full frame already - they came up on us very quickly. I would have liked to remove those hind feet, but short of cloning it out, I don't have many options :).
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by Carol Clarke on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:11 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Andrew Mc wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:Nice action and a sweet cub Andrew, more room all around would be better and I'm not sure leaving the hind feet of the other bear in the frame adds anything in this instance.

I agree Carol, however this is full frame already - they came up on us very quickly. I would have liked to remove those hind feet, but short of cloning it out, I don't have many options :).
I can feel your dilemma Andrew.  If only we could orchestrate the actions of the wildlife we love to photograph then we wouldn't have to worry - but then again the excitement and anticipation would be missing too!   8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by D. Robert Franz on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:50 am
D. Robert Franz
Forum Contributor
Hi Andrew,

Remember this well.. Like the leg position of the cub. These things happen fast and perhaps zooming out and getting both cubs in frame would have helped or a cloning job to remove the other bear. But then you never know I had a gentleman on capture an image on my winter Yellowstone tour a few years back win in the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the year contest with a leaping red fox that jumped out of his framing and you could only see it's feet and nose in the top of the frame?????
Upcoming Photo Tours: "Bald Eagles of Alaska"  "Winter in Yellowstone"

Instagram #d.robertfranz

by Cindy Marple on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:26 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
That's one small cub, so cute! Nice pose captured and lots of good fur detail. I had a similar experience with a cub and mama coming at us, at some point I had to stop shooting and watch because I didn't have a zoom and couldn't back up to be able to get whole bear(s) in the image.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Robert Sabin on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:28 pm
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor

7 posts |