lazy lion cub

Posted by cjw on Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
This little guy "got the yawns" after seeing Rich and Cheryl's lazing lions!

I was told he was 2 or 3 months old and I did get to see him and two others nursing (ouch!)

Canon 10d 70.0-200.0mm @ 200.0 Subject dist: 6.5m 1/350 sec, f/2.8 ISO: 200 in Botswana.

I am learning (slowly) all of this stuff and have to say this looks sharper in Breezebrowzer than here. In PS Elements applied USM 100/.2/2 twice. I used 150/.3/2 first and it seemed oversharpened.

Critiques/comments/reposts welcome. Thanks.

Cindy

Posted by:
cjw
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:36 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
What a cute subject.. terrific little yawn. I could wish for some of the sticks to go away but not much you can do about that.. Keep jolting on the USM and then go backwards in the history pallet to the one just before you think it looks a little crunkly (for lack of a better word).. With my flow, I use at least three and sometimes more shots.. Thanks for your contribution here.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Michael Brown on Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:46 pm
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
The "cute factor" just grabbed me on this one Cindy! Love it!!
Yes, a little USM would help it to jump out a bit and a touch of contrast or levels would bring about more pop to it, but still, this is very nice as is!

I like it!!! :)

Mike
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

by Harvey Edelman on Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:53 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
cjw wrote:[img]

have to say this looks sharper in Breezebrowzer than here.
Cindy
Breezebrowzer has a high quality setting in the view menu that you've probably clicked and at that setting it sharpens the photo using USM. If you like the way it looks in BB just use their USM settings. I believe the settings are Radius 0.5, Amount 1, Threshold 0. Cute pose with nice light BTW.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Cindy Marple on Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:27 am
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
What a cutie! Great pose and good catch in mid-yawn. I also like the placement of the cub in the frame. I agree with Dennis' comments- I'm learning to use that "go one step too far and back up" method for USM.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Carol Clarke on Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:44 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Sweet image and nice position in frame.

Nice one!

:)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by DC on Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:04 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Nice shot, and good action.

This may have no relevance to how you work, but do you sharpen the full size image or the web-sized one? Admittedly I use slides and therefore the scans are soft anyway, but I sharpen the full size image, then resize about halfway down to web-size, sharpen that then web size it and apply smaller shots of USM.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by T Williams on Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:12 am
T Williams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00035
Good shot, Cindy! I love the expression on his face, and those huge ears are really great. Good timing to get this.
Tom
NSN 0035

by Rich S on Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:14 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Nice composition and good timing for the yawn. Colors on the cub are great with the bit of spotlighting and you gotta love the size of those ears. The twigs are a fact of life and you've done a good job of shooting around them. (The only one I really would wish away is the one over the paw.)

On USM, I find twice at something like 100/.2/2 and then once it gets "a little crunkly" - a new word for me! - I undo and then go back into the USM menu and start playing with the first number. Typically the third time might be at something like 50/.1/1.

Rich

by cjw on Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:27 am
cjw
Forum Contributor
You guys are great!

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and tips. I'll play with it some more and see if I can get it right.

Cindy

by Tim Grams on Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:56 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Great pose- you couldn't have done any better than this!

I like to use 125/.3/0 on my USB. However, I'm dealing with a file from canned slide then crunching that file into a web size image. Play with USM more and you'll probably find a setting that works good for the majority of your images.

Keep those images coming! And you're very smart for specifying what you've done to your image since it makes it easier for others to offer suggestions to improve your methodology.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Great yawn and a cute cat. I think some of the suggestions you have gotten will give you an even better presentation.

by NDCheryl on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:08 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
I love it. Definitely high on the cuteness scale. It will be even better with that bit more of USM.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by walkinman on Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:19 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
hey Cindy,

Nice shot, but I would have preferred the spot lighting to be on his face. Also, perhaps shooting from a tad to your left (if possible) would have moved the OOF branch from in front of his right paw.

Cheers

Carl

by MoCa on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:47 am
MoCa
Forum Contributor
what I changed on this lovely cub is:
PS7
Sharpening on the lightness chanel in lab color, settings :200/0.3/0
this seems to much normally on the screen, but on the web it looks good :wink:
and for the contrast the method described by "thapamd "here: http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2570
Monique, I am packed and ready to go, I may not look like much but I am well behaved and can grow on you like a fungus, with no cure for it!!! 

15 posts |