« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 103 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:25 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
OntPhoto wrote: But before the masses were willing to do that, they had to get their first taste of DSLR photography and image quality.
Even though the masses don't care much about image quality, and to many of them content is more important? That's what the masses are to me. Photography enthusiasts are the minority. I don't think image quality would change the mind of most of them. After all, many are happy with what smart phone cameras are giving them.

What makes me not comment? After a while, it seems to me the comments here are like those on flcker...well, at least like when I used that.

I should qualify that when I refer to the masses here in this context, I mean the people who buy and own DSLR's. 

Smart phones are just so darn convenient.  It doesn't look like a conventional camera so people are also more at ease when you point one in their direction.

Many of the people who do post photos here already know how to take a good photograph and even what could be improved.  But comments on improvements are always welcome.  Folks don't always get to post their "best" photo for various reasons but I think if you are posting here, you know what you're doing for the most part.  Unless I see something obvious - but even then, not always, for different reasons -  I too go with the 'nice shot' like everywhere else :-)  

by Matt Filosa on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:09 pm
Matt Filosa
Forum Contributor
Greg-

I joined this site last year after it was recommended by the instructor in my beginner bird photography class. I have found it incredibly helpful, so thank you and the members/visitors/staff.

Some of my reasons for commenting have already been said (such as that I simply like the photo), but here are some other reasons why I might comment:

(1) Certain people have already commented on the photo: It is not easy to provide constructive feedback online, but I think there are some folks on the site who do it very well. I always read their comments on other people's photos because I usually learn something. I may add my 2 cents since I am already in the thread since it's convenient. Is there a way to get an alert that "Joe Jones" has commented on a photo?

(2) Nobody else has commented on the photo: The old song says that "One is the loneliest number", but I think it's zero. I'd much rather have my photo publicly panned with 50 negative comments than have the dreaded "0 comments" label. I have been there and think I am still recovering ; )

by PopeShawnPaul on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:10 pm
PopeShawnPaul
Forum Contributor
I echo the general sentiment stated above. I'd also like to add it's frustrating when I'm posting often I usually get 10-15 responses but when I've been dormant on posting images for a while I might get 3. I also tire of the same old snowy owl pics over and over and over. I enjoy the new species and good shots of "boring" species. I also miss the photo of the week. Lastly, I enjoy the "like" button as I can quickly hit my approval for the post without taking the time to think of a constructive reply. It seems nobody ever uses the like feature.
www.shawnmccully.com

by pleverington on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:24 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Greg...tying in with my other post...to be honest most images are so overworked I cannot relate to them much anymore....I do not comment...
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by MalcolmBenn on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:38 am
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Greg, I'm thinking right about now you're wondering why you started this thread because of the wandering nature of some of the responses and I must admit I didn't intend to add my meanderings but it's Wednesday ..... meaning I'm bored. For me the litmus test for posting an image, commenting on an image or participating in a discussion is based solely on interest and by that I mean, is it interesting, does it evoke an emotion, is there a uniqueness to it. I will occasionally comment on an image that I think has an obvious flaw as a means of offering advice (for whatever that's worth) but I'm not big on being ultra critical or fawning. I prefer to look for images that grab my attention based solely on the visual impact, I'm rarely enticed to comment on an image based solely on the rarity of the species or scene. I try not to look at who the photographer is before doing my mental evaluation of the image, the image needs to stand or fall on it's own merits. I don't feel compelled to comment because if I don't I'm not a team player ... I want my comment to mean something, even if it's as simple as great shot. So for me it's simple .. where on the subjective wow factor scale is the image I post, the images I view or the discussion threads being posted. If I'm not posting images it means that I haven't satisfied my own subjective standards of what constitutes a worthy posting, the images might still be technically good or great but there is insufficient WOW factor in my mind and that same criteria is what I apply to the images I view. This may seem overly simplistic or perhaps even wrong footed but I tend to want to view bird/ wildlife/ portraiture/ macro etc the same way I approach viewing landscapes or any visual art (painting/ sculpture) ... I'm not looking for the rarity of the subject or perhaps even the technical merits, I'm looking for the visual impact it makes on me. Do I want to keep looking at it, examining it's qualities .. do I tick off the WOW factor box.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by andre paul on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:36 am
andre paul
Forum Contributor
Thats an interesting post and a rather complex one

When i joined in 9 years ago coments were so more interesting and had more to do with photography technique, and constructive suggestions....  Nowadays comments are so mechanical.... Such as " nice bg" , nice details, etc etc. the comments have become less instructional i guess...
I am just a hobbist, but sometimes i feel i am trying to gove more opinions then some moderators are.... I think at least two moderators should comment on all photos, but giving constructive opinions, and not just silly comments like: " so nice, i wish this was mine".  This kind of comment can exist, but not alone...

Nice comentaries and suggestions will stimulate debates and more comments.

The web is full of simple and silly comments. This is a photographers site / forum: a place dor true photography comments and suggestions!  This should begin with moderators, and i think there is a big space for this to happen !

I eish i had more time to make comments and post but mu radiology duties have been wild lately !!!!!

Hope ir makes some sense!!!!!
Regards to alll!!!!
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by Ron Day on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:25 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Greg, there seems to be agreement that more comments on posted images need to be made, and that they need to be more constructive.  The question is, what can be done to stimulate more constructive comments?  What about an Editor's Pick Award for your favorite comments in each of the Image Galleries? The award stimulates photographers to post images, and it should equally encourage more folks to comment.  I'm aware there is a "like" button under each comment which can be activated, but that simply does not equal recognition by, and an award from, the Editor.  After all, If a member takes the time to make a meaningful, well thought out comment, rewarding that type of activity with recognition through an Editor's Pick Award should encourage more and better comments by all members and participants.  Just as with images, moderators could submit recommendations to you on worthy comments, and you would have the final authority to make the award.  A winning comment could be recognized with an "Editors Pick Award" stamp, and be placed in special gallery so all interested members and participants could review it, along with other winning comments. The special gallery containing the winning comments would also serve as an educational source, allowing all interested persons to read and learn what it takes to make good constructive comments. 

by Greg Downing on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:13 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Thanks all so much for the replies and thoughtful advice. I don't mind if the thread gets off topic a bit because I truly want to know what drives folks to stick around and comment and I want to make the site better and not get drowned out by facebook and 500px etc. Some of the suggestions are very good and I will take them all to heart. As for moderators I believe all of them get burned out after a time thus some new folks might help things. We do have standards written for moderators but they are admittedly often ignored. I'll do my best to reinforce them and seek out others to join the ranks while allowing those who don't have time anymore to downgrade to member status. All that said at the end of the day it is all of you/us who can make the difference. We still pride ourselves as being a friendly and welcoming community and one of, if not the, best place to get advice on all sorts of topic related to our craft. It's the image galleries that could use a boost with the advent of other larger more general sites like FB and 500PX.

Thanks again and keep em coming - this has been a great thread. :)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by bikinchris on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:47 pm
bikinchris
Forum Contributor
How about prizes for the best comment voted on by the OP of the image? Or the collective group using "like"?The best comment from each thread can be collected and randomly chosen for highlight or a small prize. Also, most consistently helpful comment.
Chris
http://www.eaglewheel.us

by joseph motto on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:52 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
I have not posted an image in several years. Basically I found that if I posted I felt obligated to comment on a number of other images. As time went by I found that I really couldn't come up with anything meaningful to say and felt I was simply wasting time. So now I just look at images along with the horde of other lurkers.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by crw816 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:53 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
I find that I tend to post on images that I feel are exceptional or those that could use a little positive constructive criticism. When I joined here almost five years ago I found that people were more critical with images, which for me was a positive thing. It helped me to grow and learn from mine and other's mistakes or deficiencies. I have seen a trend here where comments tend to be largely positive on images sharing as if people are worried about hurting feelings. Sometimes people don't want comments and snap back at those who do criticize. It's tough to know when people want criticism or not. It might be a nice feature to have a box you can check that asks for honest feedback on an image or declines the desire for constructive criticism. Then a big target pops up that states "tear it apart" for those of us who want that kind of feedback. It might help encourage constructive discourse on the art of the craft versus the same old "wow, great image" posts.

When posting images I see some people here are looking to share their work while others (like myself) are looking for critiques of their work. I would be more inclined to offer constructive criticism if OP's indicated they wanted it somehow. (Some people write a "C&C welcome line on the post).
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by Todd Bauer on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:52 am
Todd Bauer
Forum Contributor
Member #:02032
crw816 wrote:I find that I tend to post on images that I feel are exceptional or those that could use a little positive constructive criticism.  When I joined here almost five years ago I found that people were more critical with images, which for me was a positive thing.  It helped me to grow and learn from mine and other's mistakes or deficiencies.  I have seen a trend here where comments tend to be largely positive on images sharing as if people are worried about hurting feelings.  Sometimes people don't want comments and snap back at those who do criticize.  It's tough to know when people want criticism or not.  It might be a nice feature to have a box you can check that asks for honest feedback on an image or declines the desire for constructive criticism.  Then a big target pops up that states "tear it apart" for those of us who want that kind of feedback.  It might help encourage constructive discourse on the art of the craft versus the same old "wow, great image" posts.  

When posting images I see some people here are looking to share their work while others (like myself) are looking for critiques of their work.  I would be more inclined to offer constructive criticism if OP's indicated they wanted it somehow. (Some people write a "C&C welcome line on the post).

Chris is absolutely right, and his suggestions, in my view, are spot on.
Todd Bauer
Houston, TX

by fabiopb1970 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:30 am
fabiopb1970
Forum Contributor
A forum, whatever subject it is related to, should be used to share knowledge and as a direct consequence to increase knowledge and awareness related to the subject(s). And you have a persistent memory for that subject(s) as everything is written. With current and future tools, just imagine some programs doing some data mining on these forums. ;)

What I've seen over the years, and mostly with the increase use of social media tools, is a personal marketing use of the forums, for self-promotion, independently if the guy is selling some products, services or not. Mostly of the time over the last years I've seen ruptures on forums (and death of the forum!) because of this attitude.

So I just gave up posting and commenting on forums where the subject is subjective. ;)

As an example just look at my post at the FLORIDA chapter, one of the top birding destinations in the world.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=250809

ps: Btw, I use "the Internet" since 1992. The good ol'times of Archie, Veronica and listserv's !
--
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
www.fbernardino.com.br

by pleverington on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:09 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Even if the poster of an image asks for critique, others that comment on the same image can seemingly get offended that some one ever said anything at all about that image simply because they themselves take criticism the wrong  way....personal IOW's. They will retain less than receptive feelings perhaps let's say and never fully weigh in what the critique's message might have been due to an acquired bias. Probably the more a fostering of openness and honesty prevails, rather than  "going along" attitude,  the more interesting and productive the site and the learning from it  would be....

edit** My point would be that a separate "learning and critique forum" might be a good idea as others have mentioned. Then the other forums might be for simple sharing and fun..
Paul Leverington

by jnadler on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:40 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Just posted a decent bald eagle shot. One reply. What I don't know is are these subjects just plain boring now, does my photo actually suck, is my infrequent participation a factor, etc. 

by pleverington on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:34 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:Just posted a decent bald eagle shot. One reply. What I don't know is are these subjects just plain boring now, does my photo actually suck, is my infrequent participation a factor, etc. 
At one time Jeff I think your image would have gotten 20 maybe 30 comments. At least ten... 

I think the bar is continually being raised. Back in the film days which were still going strong when this site began, just getting an image in focus, without grain, taken at the right moment was all the bar was at for many. Anything after that was icing on the cake. Now those things are almost a given with 12 FPS, super autofocus, and usable ISO's up to and including 6400. Once one cringed going past 200 for nature photography. So no surprise everyone can get in on the act plus the savings and faster learning curve with digital has contributed to this phenomenon.

My thoughts are we all are probably evolving to a more full composition image..one that evokes more than a portrait alone does, as that, unlike the human face. is hard to capture meaning of in most animals in an image. We can't read the expressions like in a human face so there is one big loss right there. But include an environment with supporting composition elements and that just sings to us. A much more difficult image to get however..

It would be interesting to do a survey on what images are receiving a lot of comments and go from there.
Paul Leverington

by isseu on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:53 am
isseu
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:
jnadler wrote:Just posted a decent bald eagle shot. One reply. What I don't know is are these subjects just plain boring now, does my photo actually suck, is my infrequent participation a factor, etc. 
At one time Jeff I think your image would have gotten 20 maybe 30 comments. At least ten... 

I think the bar is continually being raised. Back in the film days which were still going strong when this site began, just getting an image in focus, without grain, taken at the right moment was all the bar was at for many. Anything after that was icing on the cake. Now those things are almost a given with 12 FPS, super autofocus, and usable ISO's up to and including 6400. Once one cringed going past 200 for nature photography. So no surprise everyone can get in on the act plus the savings and faster learning curve with digital has contributed to this phenomenon.

It would be interesting to do a survey on what images are receiving a lot of comments and go from there.
Maybe it would be interesting to see also which comments, personnaly I rarely do the "yes great shot" only comments (in other forums).
So what type of comments are we looking for ?
I mostly ask myself, can/should I really comment like "to dark" to much in centre .... ? and cause some frustration or ?

best
Dirk

by pleverington on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:38 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Dirk I'm not so sure myself that it's about what any comment should say or not say, but more about participation, enthusiasm,and involvement. The level of these three things is way dropped off from even five years ago. My guess is Greg and others are concerned and are not only trying to figure out if there are things that could be done better here, but also what are the changes in today's nature photography that might also need to be looked at.
Paul Leverington

by sackmanjay on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:50 am
sackmanjay
Forum Contributor
Generally BIF present a unique challenge for me since I shoot with a Old Manual Nikkor 400mm f3.5 with an AF 1.6 TC.  Challenge yes but not impossible. I generally track the target and once I lock in focus I hit the shutter. Because I have a manual lens I have to pre-determine where the target is going to be and pre-focus. It takes practice but you have to PRACTICE whatever gear you use.
I captured this Eagle a few months ago...
Often we don't recognize or comprehend what our eyes may see. Take a moment to look and take in the beauty that is before you. Life is too short to miss the wonder of God's creation.

by isseu on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:31 am
isseu
Forum Contributor
Hi Paul,
thanks for your feedback. I thing generally it is getting harder and harder to get attention for any pictures and people spending less time really looking at pictures
let alone writting comments etc. If the intentions of Greg et al is to check what can be improved I would ask what hampers people from leavig a comment, personnally I have t oadmit that more often ten not I am to leasy to log-in from my mobile to leave a coupl of letter comment (yes shame on me)
but maybve Iam not the only one
KR
Dirk

103 posts |