Testing the Morning Air: Bull Moose

Posted by Tim Grams on Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Another early morning shot taken in Anchorage before the sun had climbed over the mountains.

I've had an exceptionally good year with the moose.... and its still prime time.

All comments greatly appreciated.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

Posted by:
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164

by NDCheryl on Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:57 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
This image really says 'cold' to me. I like the pose and the breath a lot but find the tree behind the moose distracting. It also looks like a crop down from the top may help the composition. I am glad you are having such a good 'moose' year. Thanks for sharing them with us in FFM.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Cool shot. Getting a little lower so that the moose is against the lighter sky and putting him a bit higher in the frame would make it even better

by Harvey Edelman on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:47 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
The Moose sillhouetted against the cold morning air with the mist around him leaves no doubt about the coldness.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Bill Keown on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:53 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Definately a cold moning feel. I agree with EJ's comments on the comp. Nice one though, I'd be happy to have it in my files.

Bill Keown

by Tim Grams on Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:42 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Thanks for the comments. Yes, the tree growing out of the head is distracting. :oops: I considered taking in out but I prefer not to do major alterations.

The only problem when you get the animal silhouted agaist the sky is that you lose the breath of the animal. I have a number of nicely backlite moose that I patiently waited for them to exhale. I could clearly see the breath, but the film was unable to capture the low contrast.

I should have stated that one of the goals in capturing this angle was to clearly get the breath as it was exhaled. IMO, without the breath its a much less interesting image.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by Dennis Olivero on Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:59 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Tim
I was away yesterday and just getting caught up. I am really excited about your moose images. I like the fact that you are trying different things. The last several have shown that you are working away from standard images to something you have envisioned about moose that you want to share.. Good going and keep 'em coming.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Cindy Marple on Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:54 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I really like the breath in this image, does it ever say "cold". I think I see what you mean that you'd lose it against the bright sky as opposed to the darker bg. I'd like to see a bit more of the moose in the frame, it's a little crammed in the corner for my taste. But I agree with Dennis' comments, I do appreciate going for something different.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Kelly on Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:17 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Tim, Yes, you've had an exceptionally good year for moose, and other critters too! :D The exhaled air and sharp eye really make this one. I'd probably clone out that tree growing from his back and then print it big.
Kelly O'Neill

by walkinman on Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:20 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Tim,

I like this idea a lot, and what you're saying about catching the breath is right on. My only nit here is I think you tried too hard to catch the breath,and didn't show us enough of the moose. I don't mind the tree in the b/g at all.

rest assured I'll be there this time next year! :)

Cheers

Carl

by Rich S on Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:35 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Glad I saw this one second since it's my favorite of your moose - at least to date. Do wish the tree wasn't there, but it's not a big deal either and as you note could be removed. The breath is great and your timing looks absolutely perfect to capture it well. I would be tempted to crop about 10% off both the top and the left to put even more emphasis on the exhalation.

Rich

11 posts |