Brown Bear

Posted by Cliff LeSergent on Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 

I didn't want the site overrun with avian photos, so I thought I'd post this one. :lol:

Black bear, in the brown colour phase. One of the few bears in Banff without ear tags!

Taken with a Pentax 645N and 300mm f4 lens on Fuji Provia 100F (the JPEG compression was not kind to this photo).
Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
http://www.imageswest.ca

Posted by:
Cliff LeSergent
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:28 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Great subject Cliff and he is looking you dead in the eye for good visual impact. Some additional sharpening could be used IMHO...
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by bill3540 on Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:51 pm
bill3540
Forum Contributor
Cliff,
Great shot. I don't want to frighten you, but this bear looks to be a grizzly rather than a black bear. The pointed nose. small ears, and hump back are classic signs of a grizzly. You may well have been closer to this bear than you really wanted to be. Nevertheless, it's a wonderful photo.
Bill
Bill
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it"

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Man that is one big bear! The light is a bit harsh but what an imposing capture.

by Cliff LeSergent on Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:11 pm
Cliff LeSergent
Forum Contributor
Bill, it's most assuredly not a grizzly. We came across this one and its brother (sister?), which was the black phase, foraging on the side of the road one morning. This was shot from inside our van, so I felt pretty safe.

The original 6x4.5 transparency looks a lot better. I'm not sure what I did wrong downsizing it, but the contrast and sharpness look a lot worse in the JPEG image here. Any helpful hints?
Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
http://www.imageswest.ca

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:07 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Hi Cliff---how fortunate you were to see this animal! Although I am no expert, it appears to be a black bear and one whose photo looks pretty good to me! I would consider darkening the grass to rduce the impression of harsh light. What were your steps in the re-sizing and sharpening? USM may be applied in steps along the way but is usually the last step after down-sizing and before converting for the web. Hope this helps.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Rich S on Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:37 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
One bloody big bear whose full attention you have captured! Like the composition, & Juli's suggestions on darkening the grass a bit and applying USM last should help. This one's going to be tough for jpeg whatever you do, however, because you've got so much detail throughout. (The avian types with their smooth backgrounds have it easy. ;) )

Rich

7 posts |