Bull Moose and Fall colors

Posted by AlexC on Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
Bull Moose

The autumn colors were in a hurry to show up, in the three days I was at the park the process accelerated considerably, Along with the scent of winter approaching, there was also love in the air for the Moose, Antlers have grown, the Velvet has gone and they began to congregate for the rut!!!, A lot of huffing and puffing as well as urinating took place to attract the females , a lot of courting also was seen, It was fun to watch, Fortunately this happens inside the fourteen miles of paved roads in which you are permitted to bring your vehicle and are not restricted as to getting out on the road!!, The light was not great but the mood was!!
D1x, Raw format Lens=70-200mm afs-VR f/2.8-2.8 + 2X TC, FL=260mm, Manual exposure, 1/200sec-f/5.6, EV=-1/3, ISO=400, WB=Auto
Any and all comments welcome!!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Posted by:
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very nice and great fall colors Alaska style!

by NDCheryl on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:48 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Glad you had success in the park Alex. The fall colors certainly come and go quickly and its great you were there to catch the color. Even better that you were able to catch this nice bull moose in the middle of it all.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Alan Melle on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:30 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Very nice! Great colors and a catchlight in the eye. I took the liberty of checking this in PS and a little more USM really makes it pop. (I have also erased the image from my drive)
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Jill on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:55 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Alex, I adore the colorful setting, and the moose looks really cool. Is he one of the dudes needing a diaper? Great image and welcome home!!
Jill Rosenfield

by John Pennoyer on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:09 pm
John Pennoyer
Forum Contributor
Nice image of a magnificient Bull Moose in some glorious fall colors.
John P
http://www.impressionsofnature.net

by Dennis Olivero on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:40 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Beautiful subject and environmental elements Alex. Thanks for posting here.. Its a great shot for the upcoming season.... now I am going to go into the other room and curse the moose for standing directly in front of the tree... Thanks for your work here, always welcome!!
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by LHays on Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:20 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Bullwinkle ready for a date. Not only do you have a great moose shot...you have one with a colorful fall setting. Great shot!!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Rich S on Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:22 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Great environmental color contrasting nicely with moose; looks like you've even got a catchlight in the eye!

Rich

by David W. Brewer on Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:09 am
David W. Brewer
Forum Contributor
Alex:
See what good things can happen when you get away from the home environs? A lovely shot, and I don't diesagree with any of the other folks comments. I would add one other: I like the juxtapositioning of the green evergreens with the fall foliage on the deciduous plants. The color contrast is outstanding. I would also add that the exposure on the moose is dead-on, clearly delineating it as the subject, while maintaing adequate exposure control to maintain the saturation of the muted fall colors. An excellent capture; add my congratulations to the rest.

by Bob Ettinger on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:23 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Alex,

The striking pastel colors and the moose ae great. If there is one nit it is the tree directly behind the head. Where is that chainsaw when you need it :D
Bob Ettinger

by walkinman on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:00 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Alex,

this isn't perfect, but it's not far from it .. the tree behind him is a bit distracting (especially against his antler), but not a major flaw. The moose looks soft, though that could just be some USM stuff.

However, the exposure is fantastic. He looks backlit, or very close to it. Yet you've retained this much detail on the near side, didn't blow out the brighter antler, and the background looks great. I don't see many moose pictures like that at all. really a good job. Do you remember how you metered it? The fall background makes this.

Cheers

Carl

by Steve Sage on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:55 am
Steve Sage
Lifetime Member
Member #:00058
I like the subtle hues of the Alaskan autumn. The bull is very nice. The minor nits were addressed here already.
Steve Sage
Michigan
http://www.sageimages.com

by AlexC on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:55 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Walkinman wrote:
He looks backlit, or very close to it. Yet you've retained this much detail on the near side, didn't blow out the brighter antler, and the background looks great. I don't see many moose pictures like that at all. really a good job. Do you remember how you metered it? The fall background makes this.
Carl; The moose was basically back-lit, I exposed manually via the camera meter plus 1/3EV, did check my histogram and no blinking overexposure was shown, Due to the low light I had to shoot ISO 400 to keep my SS at 1/200 at f/5.6, I wished I could have used f/8 or f/10, As far as the tree is concerned I liked it as is, I have others with no trees in the middle!!, Hope this helps!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

14 posts |