Motif: Gorillas Gorillas Everywhere

Posted by biologist on Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Here is a shot from the San Diego Wild Animal Park of a mom and baby Gorilla.

It might appear a bit dark, so I will have to fix it up later today.

Tech:
Nikon N90s
Nikkor 300mm
Provia 100F

Enjoy

Comments and Critiques welocme...

Eric

Posted by:
biologist
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:19 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Eric
That baby is so tiny and mom seems to be rocking him/her because she/he seems fussy... Great going on capturing behavior and interaction. Just how old do you think the baby is? My monitor is junk but it doesnt look too dark here on this end, but maybe a little additional USM would work. The white background is tough to avoid in zoo situations. Would you have a chance to get some tight in shots, really tight, of the mom and baby, kind of spring boarding off of what Simon showed us today with the bison calf... Thanks for your post and participation..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by biologist on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:32 pm
biologist
Forum Contributor
Thanks Dennis,

Unfortunately, i could not get a tighter shot that day.. I was at the limits of my lens without the converters I usually carry with me. I usually have a 1.4x and a 2X with me in my vest, but for some reason i did not put them in there..
This is probbaly a relatively young baby. I was hoping she would move in a bit closer but that was not the case that day.

I have some others of two youngsters at teh same place that were sitting relatively close to me ad play wrestling fr a long time one day while at teh Wild Animal Park in San Diego...

Eric
================================================
Dennis Olivero wrote:Eric
That baby is so tiny and mom seems to be rocking him/her because she/he seems fussy... Great going on capturing behavior and interaction. Just how old do you think the baby is? My monitor is junk but it doesnt look too dark here on this end, but maybe a little additional USM would work. The white background is tough to avoid in zoo situations. Would you have a chance to get some tight in shots, really tight, of the mom and baby, kind of spring boarding off of what Simon showed us today with the bison calf... Thanks for your post and participation..

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The interaction you captured here is very nice.

Two things that would make this one better in my opinion are removal of the blue cast that was caused by the cloudy day and some sharpening

by NDCheryl on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:05 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Eric,

Great interaction shot. It does not look too dark. It just needs some more USM. Wew have had some really great 'youth' shots this week. thanks for your contirbution to the theme.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Rich S on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:00 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Exposure looks pretty good; no reason to lighten it up. Like the others, I would suggest a bit more aggressive USM and removing the blue cast. The look on the mother's face is great as is the struggling baby.

Rich

by Chas on Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:31 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Nice as is, but I would kill for a close-up of just the baby in the adults arms/hands. As Dennis mentioned, the most difficult part of shooting in a zoo/captive environment is to isolate the subjects so that they do not appear to be there. A bit blue in coloration , but this can be easily corrected. Did you crop, as I would prefer the entire female included?

Best, and thanks for sharing this provocative image,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

7 posts |