Big Boy Floyd-Kodiak Bear

Posted by AlexC on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Kodiak Bear- Kodiak, Alaska

I wish I could say that I was unconcerned, But in reality I felt pretty much intimidated by these Bears, although shy in most cases, you never want to get one startled or angry in any way, Of the 40+ Bears we saw that day, ten came pretty close to our hiding place, only two found out we were there, one ran away and the other one did a false charge into our spot, being young he never followed thru, just stopping short by some 20+ feet; Most bears did not know we were there, we sat downwind from them and not even the camera click was heard, but when the winds died down the trouble started, by then we were done shooting and on the way back to the campground!!, It was wild to say the least, most of these bears have never seen man up close and the guide wanted to keep it that way!!
No humans hurt and no bears shot!! Just a little scary for me!!
The smallest must have been 500+ lbs at least!!
No technical at present!!
Any and all comments welcome!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Posted by:
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024

by Jill on Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:22 am
Jill
Forum Contributor
Alex, Big Boy Floyd is huge and appears ultra mighty. Love the paw splash!! Good that you remain unscathed, my friend, and a fantastic image indeed!!
Jill Rosenfield

by DC on Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:34 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Great capture Alex, the raised paw is great.

Glad you made it out unscathed :), but what an adrenalin rush huh :D
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:24 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Alex
Thanks for posting in FFM. I really like your bear image, very sharp and the head turn gives just a titch of scleral show on the eye providing some life in the eye area. I also can appreciate your story, having been false charged by bears in the past.. It does get your attention. Thanks again for your post.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Simon A on Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:54 am
Simon A
Lifetime Member
Member #:00079
Alex,

The charging bear sounds like a diaper changing moment :-). Very nice image.

Regards, Simon
Simon Allenby
NSN 0079

by Bill Keown on Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:09 am
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Nice image of the bear. It's hard to get any life around the eyes of this animal and you have done well with the slight head turn. Those false charges sure get the heart pumping don't they?

Bill Keown

by AlexC on Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:10 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Simon A wrote:
The charging bear sounds like a diaper changing moment
Simon, you are absolutely correct!!!! :wink: Diaper change indeed!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Wil Hershberger on Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:18 am
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
Very cool image! I like the pose and the raised paw. Great work. Glad to hear that bears and humans came away unharmed.
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by NDCheryl on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:17 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Hello Alex,

Glad you and the bears survived your visit to AK. Sounds like a great trip and I too understand the diaper changing adrenaline rush of a brown bear that decides to mess with your mind and false charge.

Very nice shot here with the raised paw and the splash as a plus. the light hitting the head as it turned helps give life to the eye. Thank you for sharing. I hope you will be posting more in this forum.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Phil Shaw on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:30 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Nice work Alex; from your narrative it sounds like you were shooting from a blind. I'm looking forward to some more images and any more details that you care to provide about the set-up. Did you get anything from the bluff-charge?

best wishes
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Bob Ettinger on Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:34 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Alex,

Nice shot, the head angle and the splash really make it.
Bob Ettinger

by AlexC on Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:31 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Phil wrote:
Nice work Alex; from your narrative it sounds like you were shooting from a blind. I'm looking forward to some more images and any more details that you care to provide about the set-up. Did you get anything from the bluff-charge?
Phil, Were were shooting and videotaping without a blind, we were hidden in plain sight behind some bushes and trees, but no blind!! I will post a few more in the coming days, and NO images from the false charge, I was too busy adjusting my diaper!!! :wink:
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]

by LHays on Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:15 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Oh, I do love this guy. With a wonderful pose, a visible eye and great detail I can only imagine the excitement of being there. You can keep the false charge....I don't think I need that much excitement. Great shot.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

13 posts |