Motif-Young Lion cub (cuteness alert)

Posted by NDCheryl on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Lion Cub
Maasai Mara, Kenya

This was one of my favorite images from my first trip to Kenya in 1997. There were 3 cubs-approx 2 months old that were playing around these rocks. One decided he needed a brief cat nap and I got off a few quick shots before he was pounced on by a sibling and went off to play again. This is about a 25% crop from the original and the centered pose was intentional both then and now. I know the dark shadow is somewhat of a distraction-I did not think so then, but I like the cub well enough that I can live with it now... This one is hanging on the wall at work.

Nikon N90s with Tamron 200-500 MF zoom, Sensia 100, spot metered on the cub.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

Posted by:
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026

by Lillian Roberts on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:34 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Very cute. I really love this shot. In an ideal world I might like to see some of the OOF FG grass go away, and less business in general, but those things fade in comparison to the adorableness (adorability? ;) ) of the cub.

Lillian

by Dennis Olivero on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:02 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Now I am going to have to refer to you as Ms Ertelt again, because your killing me.. This one is so good it hurts..Way to go Cheryl,... I mean Ms Ertelt
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

Last edited by Dennis Olivero on Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Cindy Marple on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:49 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
I've always loved this one. The cub is so darn cute and resting it's head right at the point of the triangular rock is precious. I agree with centering here. I'm not too distracted by the dark area- better that than light.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by walkinman on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:33 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Cheryl,

A cute image for sure. The shadow helps it, IMO .. its curvature follows the line the cubs head rests on, and it's a positive effect for me. It even allows room to frame the youngsters head. I wonder if maybe composing more to your left would help .. you'd lose the light part of the rock in the upper RHC as well. The element I find most distracting is the brightly lit top of the grass stem just above and to the right of the cub. I'd clone or darken it for printing.

The cub doesn't look totally sharp to me .. the rock s/he's resting on doesn't either.

Cheers

Carl

by DC on Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:58 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Great capture Cheryl. I think the central framing of this works, and the shadow doesn't bother me as my eye is drawn back to that oh so cute little pussy cat :)
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by Carol Clarke on Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:29 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
This is a gorgeous shot Cheryl, it really captures the cuteness of the young Lion and that so innocent pose!!

You have a great eye for a shot and really give me something to strive for!!

8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Bill Keown on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:34 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Way cute image. No problem with the shadow, but a little with OOF grass.

Bill Keown

by Wil Hershberger on Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:39 pm
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
The rock that he is resting his head on looks like lava rock...so is this pillow lava :) :roll:
Superb shot. Very cute and great work getting this before he was disturbed.
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by Kelly on Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:11 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Too cute! I didn't notice the shadow or OOF grass until others mentioned them and I looked back.
Kelly O'Neill

10 posts |