Snapping turtle

Posted by Kelly on Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
This guy was basking in the sun along a nearby trail. It's a bit contrasty, but I don't think it would have tolerated using a diffuser or flash. Right after I snapped this, it dove into poison ivy, probably knowing that I wouldn't follow it. I tried cloning out the blade of grass framing the eye, but couldn't make it look real.

Canon Elan 7e, 100-400IS (@ f5.6), Provia, laying on ground. Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts!
Kelly O'Neill

Posted by:
Kelly
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:55 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Kelly
Thanks for posting. You did an excellent job of self critique and this is the way to keep continuously reaching higher. I give you a lot of credit for getting near this guy. I was silly enough to lay down right in front of one and I used flash but he was smaller and timid and pulled his head in the shell (the gift of DOF :D ) .. Thanks for posting. I'll take a turtle picture any day...
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by DC on Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:47 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Well seen and taken. You've pretty much covered it all, my only input, more of a question really, is would using a polarizer have reduced the contrast / glare ?

I like it as is tho', it's got good detail and it's sharp. Well done.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by NDCheryl on Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:49 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Kelly, He looks like a good sized fellow. I have seen how fast they can move and I dont think I would have gotten down on the ground with one this close and I certainly would not have tried to move him! You covered the nits yourself. You have a nice shot here. Thanks for sharing.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Carol Clarke on Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:27 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
You have certainly covered your own nits here! and still it leaves a good shot with excellent detail and I love the angle you chose for the image.

:D
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by chew on Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:47 pm
chew
Forum Contributor
I like the way you have a low perspective. Makes the snapper look very large. The light is very good also.
Chew NSN 0031

6 posts |