In the midst of Buffalo

Posted by DC on Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:30 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Buffalo
South Luangwa NP, Zambia.

In rescaning some images I came across this one again and thought I would share it.

This was taken on a walk thru the bush last year. We had been walking for a couple of hours and came out of the bush into a clearing, only to be confronted by at least 200 buffalo. They stretched as far as you could see left to right. Quite an awesome sight. We waited for about ten minutes, but they weren't going anywhere so we had to go thru the middle of the herd. This is just as they stopped running and turned to see if we were still coming.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

Posted by:
DC
Regional Moderator

by Alan Melle on Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:46 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Let me get this straight.... you WALKED THROUGH this herd of Cape Buffalo? These can be really dangerous critters!

I like the image and it looks like you got the most out of difficult light. The light does highlight the dust nicely though. Must have been an incredible experience.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by DC on Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:50 pm
DC
Regional Moderator
Alan Melle wrote:Let me get this straight.... you WALKED THROUGH this herd of Cape Buffalo? These can be really dangerous critters!
Yep, we walked. But we did have an armed scout, just in case. :D
Dave

by mwagner1 on Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:23 pm
mwagner1
Forum Contributor
DC wrote:Yep, we walked. But we did have an armed scout, just in case. :D
First, I like the shot!!!!

But...WOW....with only an armed scout?? A single person with a gun??? :shock:

You either had a higher power watching over you, or were very lucky. I have seen videos of hunters with high powered .500 to .600 caliber game rifles have to shoot a Cape Buffalo twice to drop him.

Considering the agressive nature of those crittres, I get the cold willies reading your post. One armed scout and several hundred Cape Buffalo...whew!!!

Cheers,

Mark in Austin

by Dennis Olivero on Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:53 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
This is really a unique photo.. I like the foggy diffused light and the group effect. We have had some spectacular photos here in the FFM gallery today and this is one of them. Thanks Dave..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Steve Sage on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:02 pm
Steve Sage
Lifetime Member
Member #:00058
This is a great image Dave. The fog gives it mood and depth. Walking huh? Wow.
Steve Sage
Michigan
http://www.sageimages.com

by Harvey Edelman on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:23 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
This is nice :D ! The image sets a mood and offers so much more than just a sterile rendition.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Bill Keown on Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:43 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Spectacular image The lighting, dust and the pose of the buffalo say a lot. Walking through a herd (how many id you think one lone guide could get?) WOW!

Bill Keown

by NDCheryl on Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:59 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
I would not have even wanted to be driving through this herd let alone walking. Yikes! I really love this image Dave. It is one of my favorites of those you have posted. The stance of the buffalo along with this mist and lighting really give it a lot of visual impact. Thanks for sharing this one.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by walkinman on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:42 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Dave,

EXCELLENT!

very unusual (as is walking through a herd of water buffalo). I love these kinds of shots .. but man, you were WAY close.

Cheers

Carl

by DC on Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:18 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Thanks everyone for your comments, very much appreciated.
Bill Keown wrote:how many id you think one lone guide could get?
Actually Bill, I'd never thought of that :shock: :shock:

I should have included the specs, sorry, shot with a 300 F4 IS on velvia, full frame, handheld.

It was a little scary. The three buff's lookng at the camera in this shot were all young males. They were the last to turn and run, and the first to stop and turn back. This happened about four times before they finally figured out to run to the side rather than straight ahead of us.

I really wish I had put a wide angle on to get the entire herd, but I wasn't about to stop and change lenses ;)

Thanks again.
Dave

by abiggs on Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:56 am
abiggs
Regional Moderator
Member #:00119
fantastic shot. It really conveys the mood of the time and place. Very well done.
Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris & Workshops
[url=http://www.theglobalphotographer.com]My Blog[/url]

by Rich S on Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:29 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Note to self: do not, repeat, absolutely do not do a bushwalk in South Luangwa! :)

Must have been an amazing experience, but having seen these guys up close - and seen ONE chase off three lions - there's no way that I'm walking through a herd like that. (We also walked just outside of the Serengeti and the only time our guide was the least bit nervous wasn't when we spotted a lion but when he spotted cape buffalo tracks.)

Those considerations aside, the mist/fog and the attention of the buffalo are what make this shot. Might have liked a polarizer on to minimize the reflections from the grass - but controlling camera shake would have been a major task for me let alone trying to attach a filter.

Rich

13 posts |