First Ligth in Genoa, Nevada

Posted by Jens Peermann on Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
I bought a 10mm lens that I need for some interior shots. Zeiss doesn't make that focal length, so I got the Rokinon because some reviews put it on the same levels as Zeiss Milvus lenses. I'm not convinced that is the case, but I just used it for one shoot this morning. That's a little too earlier to judge that thing.

A7r2, Rokinon 10/3.5 @ f/8
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:09 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Certainly looks wide enough Jens. Excellent clarity and details.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mary Brun on Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
The 10mm is an extreme wide angle, certainly suitable for certain purposes. Interesting image indeed. The light is incredibly beautiful.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:32 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Looks good, but I should think you'd want a comparison....I don't know what that would be. Plenty of detail but the foreground looks a bit distorted/blurry to me. To be expected?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Jens Peermann on Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:34 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Looks good, but I should think you'd want a comparison....I don't know what that would be. Plenty of detail but the foreground looks a bit distorted/blurry to me. To be expected?
I noticed the blurry foreground, too. A look at the original revealed it to be tack sharp. Looking at both side to side shows one sharp and the other compromised. So, I assume that reducing the pixel dimension to 1000 on the long side for submission has a negative effect when both are presented at the same canvas size.

Then there is the blur of the green tree branches on the left side, which is also present in the original. I don't remember any wind blowing, which allows distortion as a possibility. But the right side is OK, and other images taken with this lens don't have that flaw. Really weird.

All I can say for sure at this moment is, the reviews that claim this lens to be close to a Zeiss Milvus lens are incorrect. I have the 15mm Milvus and it's in a different class. Unfortunately, I need this 10mm focal length for a project and Zeiss does not offer it. So I went with the Rokinon because of the almost non-existent distortion reported for it. Well, I had to do quite a bit of tweaking in Photoshop to get that lamp post on the left straight (maybe that process generated the blurred tree branches adjacent to it). To be fair though, that post was about a foot from the lens, while other lines that were at a more respectful distance came out straight.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

5 posts |