Abandoned house-porch

Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Panasonic FZ30, 1/250, f5.6,ISO 80. Re-imaged in photoshop and Topaz.

This was taken in 2006!

My in-laws used to live in Rockport Mass. and the beautiful brick house across the street from them appeared to be abandoned for 15 years or so. Eventually raccoons got in and spoiled a beautiful grand piano, among other things. It was eventually sold by the town for taxes and replaced with an ugly new home.

This is a picture looking through the side of the glassed-in porch, overgrown with vines.

Please click for a better resolution.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733

by Carol Clarke on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:51 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I love the story attached to this evocative image, Cindy.  The people moved out and nature moved in.  Its great how the vines seem to be peeping out on the neighbourhood from behind the curtains, and what a wonderful thought - the raccoons partying until the early hours around the old piano!  Rather sad though that the old house couldn't be revived and brought back to life rather than being replaced with a characterless new build.

A simple but very thought provoking view of the old porch!  Nicely done. :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:45 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The vines growing indoors speak volumes, Cindy. As a story telling image this is top-notch.

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Carol Clarke wrote:I love the story attached to this evocative image, Cindy.  The people moved out and nature moved in.  Its great how the vines seem to be peeping out on the neighbourhood from behind the curtains, and what a wonderful thought - the raccoons partying until the early hours around the old piano!  Rather sad though that the old house couldn't be revived and brought back to life rather than being replaced with a characterless new build.

A simple but very thought provoking view of the old porch!  Nicely done. :) 

Carol.
Thanks Carol. The raccoons sure did party. We'd see them come out the chimney and onto the roof!  I guess the house was in some sort of estate lock-up. I think maybe it didn't smell too good..., :((
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:59 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Ron Day wrote:The vines growing indoors speak volumes, Cindy. As a story telling image this is top-notch.
Thanks Ron.  It was quite interesting to see this happen over the years. Sadly, we don't go there any more. 
 My in-laws house was sold after they died, and I don't know what became of it other than "major renovations". It too was  a wonderful 100 year old treasure.

by david fletcher on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Wonderful story attached to this image Cindy! As good as the story and info is, there is also a shed load of story telling in the little details with the window frame view. Wonderful!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Gary Gulash on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:39 am
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
You have been very successful in capturing a feeling of nostalgia in this image that is palpable. The faded curtains, somber color of the house and dried leaves has a subtle beauty. Touching photo. Nice work Cynthia.

by ADKShooter on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Gary Gulash wrote:You have been very successful in capturing a feeling of nostalgia in this image that is palpable. The faded curtains, somber color of the house and dried leaves has a subtle beauty. Touching photo. Nice work Cynthia.
+1.  I actually could have picked any of the above folks who posted as we all seem to share the same thoughts.  As a stand alone image it is very nice, but knowing the back story really makes one think about things and adds so much nostalgia to your presentation.

by Mary Brun on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
I love these houses so rich in history even if they are abandoned.
I really like this your image because it expresses the feeling that I find in these environments.
Beautiful light behind the window and the play of branches with leaves.
Mary
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Jens Peermann on Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:45 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Very nice detail of this house. It tells a story.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

10 posts |