'Once Upon A Time'

Posted by Dean McLeod on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
I will never tire of visiting this beautiful old barn, which stands witness to the history of the amazing pioneers who settled the northern prairies.

It has a special significance to me, as my grandfather built it in 1939 and over 30,000 sunrises later, it still stands proud and true.

A job well done.

Nikon D850, Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 @ 38mm, ISO 200, 1/60th second. RRS BH-55 ballhead on RRS TVC34L tripod.

Posted by:
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor

by Gary Gulash on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:33 am
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Hi Dean. I really like the composition here, the sky is excellent and the canola colours work well. These old barns are slowly disappearing along with the few remaining iconic grain elevators. I'm a Sask son too, I can certainly relate to this image. Very cool that your grandfather actually built this barn.
On a technical note, the barn has a slight lean to it from the wide angle perspective. Lightroom has the tools to correct this if you wanted make the verticals in the barn vertical. I bet this would also work nicely as a monochrome too with that dramatic sky.

by david fletcher on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:06 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Wonderful story and image Dean. Remarkable what people achieved.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:28 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What a beautiful barn-crafting a roof like that is no easy task. And how wonderful that your grandfather built it. The sky behind is is just lovely- a fitting setting for this gem. We are losing our farms and barns here in Vermont too, but some people are making an effort to save some of them. Glad to see this one standing.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:45 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Gary Gulash wrote:Hi Dean. I really like the composition here, the sky is excellent and the canola colours work well. These old barns are slowly disappearing along with the few remaining iconic grain elevators. I'm a Sask son too, I can certainly relate to this image. Very cool that your grandfather actually built this barn.
On a technical note, the barn has a slight lean to it from the wide angle perspective. Lightroom has the tools to correct this if you wanted make the verticals in the barn vertical. I bet this would also work nicely as a monochrome too with that dramatic sky.
Hi Gary! Thank you for the thoughtful comments and CC, it is much appreciated.
Yes, the barn is actually leaning in real life and I chose to leave it that way in the image to keep it true to life. I could easily use puppet warp in PS to straighten it though, agreed.
I haven't thought of monochrome; that could definitely work!
Thanks again!
Dean

by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:47 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Wonderful story and image Dean.  Remarkable what people achieved.
Thanks David! Yes, it is amazing what people could achieve when they had so little. It definitely makes me proud.

by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:51 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:What a beautiful barn-crafting a roof like that is no easy task. And how wonderful that your grandfather built it. The sky behind is is just lovely- a fitting setting for this gem. We are losing our farms and barns here in Vermont too, but some people are making an effort to save some of them. Glad to see this one standing.
Thanks a million Cynthia! When I visit I like to stand silently and listen, and imagine I can still hear the hammers and saws working!
I'm happy that the current owners of the land have taken care of it :))

by Gary Gulash on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:02 am
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Thanks for replying Dean, yes it did occur to me that perhaps the barn was actually leaning. I agree, would just leave as is for authenticity. No place better than Saskatchewan for those awesome sunsets.

by Carol Clarke on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:36 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A beautiful testament to times gone by, Dean! Perfect placement of the old barn in the frame, and perfect light to capture the mood. We used to have many old barns in England dating back in some cases several hundred years. Now the majority of them have been remodelled and become desirable 'Barn Conversions' and the 'must have' homes for those with a minimum of upwards of £1,000,000 English Pounds ($1,385,000 US Dollars) as their escape to the country!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:06 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Gary Gulash wrote:Thanks for replying Dean, yes it did occur to me that perhaps the barn was actually leaning. I agree, would just leave as is for authenticity. No place better than Saskatchewan for those awesome sunsets.
Thanks Gary! It's true that we have some amazing skies :)

by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:08 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:A beautiful testament to times gone by, Dean!  Perfect placement of the old barn in the frame, and perfect light to capture the mood.  We used to have many old barns in England dating back in some cases several hundred years.  Now the majority of them have been remodelled and become desirable 'Barn Conversions' and the 'must have' homes for those with a minimum of upwards of £1,000,000 English Pounds ($1,385,000 US Dollars) as their escape to the country!

Carol.
Thanks so much Carol! Wow, now that's an expensive barn!! It's neat to hear that you have many in England as well. Great testament to those who came before us.

by ADKShooter on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:47 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Beautiful image as a stand alone but it must mean that much more to you as a result of your Grandfather having built it. One personal question if I may.......did you know your Grandfather or had he already passed ?? I'll bet he would have loved your photos, and this one in particular !!

by Dean McLeod on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:54 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
ADKShooter wrote:Beautiful image as a stand alone but it must mean that much more to you as a result of your Grandfather having built it.  One personal question if I may.......did you know your Grandfather or had he already passed ??  I'll bet he would have loved your photos, and this one in particular !!
Thank you for the kind comments!

I was lucky to have known my Grandfather before he passed away when I was a kid many years ago. But yes, I like to think that he would be proud of the photos and that his barn still stands today! :)

Thank you for asking!

by Mary Brun on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:00 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
This is really a wonderful testimony to be proud of twice.
You have portrayed this barn incredibly well in this magnificent environment that manages to express historical emotions.
I love that sky and that meadow, they make me dream with open eyes.
How I would like to be there and enjoy the perfume and the silence...
Mary
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Dean McLeod on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 pm
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Mary Brun wrote:This is really a wonderful testimony to be proud of twice.
You have portrayed this barn incredibly well in this magnificent environment that manages to express historical emotions.
I love that sky and that meadow, they make me dream with open eyes.
How I would like to be there and enjoy the perfume and the silence...
Mary
What a wonderful and thoughtful comment Mary! It means a lot, thank you:)))

by Sougata De on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:28 am
Sougata De
Forum Contributor
A beautiful composition with a wonderful history. Wish I could visit it Dean.

by Dean McLeod on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 am
Dean McLeod
Forum Contributor
Sougata De wrote:A beautiful composition with a wonderful history. Wish I could visit it Dean.
Thanks so much Sougata. It holds a special place in my heart!

17 posts |