Frank Lloyd Wright's Gordon House

Posted by 1943mike on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:40 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 7-14mm f/2.8 @ 7mm, 1/500 sec., f/5.6, ISO: 200. Shot with 80mp tripod High Res mode. Used some geometry settings in PS and some cropping from bottom and sides.

I've always been a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural vision. Growing up on Madison Avenue between 95th and 96th streets I was privileged to have seen much of the construction of the Guggenheim Museum as it was being built just one block east (on 5th Avenue) and six blocks south from home. I was going to boarding schools while it was under construction so I'd see the progress leap frogging on my vacations.

The edifice I've posted here is quite modest. In truth I don't believe I'd enjoy living inside its rather spartan interior (lack of closet space, small, functional kitchen, minimal bathroom space, etc.) but it is well planned out for those who wish to simplify their domestic lifestyle. It was moved from where it was originally built to its current location on the property of The Oregon Garden in 2001 (just about brick by brick) and it opened in 2002 where it now stands.

Here's the larger image:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50905551271_04b998cef9_k.jpg

and here's the Wikipedia blurb on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_House_(Silverton,_Oregon)

Mike

Posted by:
1943mike
Forum Contributor

by Gary Gulash on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:25 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
His vision has stood the test of time and the aesthetic still looks fresh and modern today. Thanks for sharing the bit of this history and your own experience in the evolution of this house. Cool photo.

by Ron Day on Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:51 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Frank Lloyd Wright's design is superb, as is your framing of this home with vegetation, Mike. A pleasure to view!

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:17 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I love all the horizontal angles of this house-thanks for sharing this beauty and it's history. It looks quite natural in it's new green setting.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:03 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I love the setting, the house, not so much. A fine image of it, Mike.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

5 posts |