Mount Rigi, Lucerne, Switzerland

Posted by 1943mike on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Canon 30D, 17-40 f/4 @25mm, 1/400 sec., f/7.1, ISO: 200
(Nine vertical exposures to create the panorama)

Before letting us explore Lucerne we were given a ride on a cog RR to near the top of Mount Rigi.

To the left, at the end of the "finger" of the main lake is Lucerne. The town at the end of the lake  - the one smack dab in the middle of this image - is Kussnacht. The descriptions are correct only if I'm reading Google Maps accurately  :). The body of water to the right is Zugersee. Some of us walked up to the viewing area at the top. I thought the clouds presented a dramatic image so I made several vertical images knowing I'd create panoramas from them when I got back home to my computer. All hand held so I had to be careful to overlap and keep the horizon steady.

This is another image I may have posted years ago. Please forgive me if I have.

Here's the larger image:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/504 ... a950_k.jpg

Mike

Posted by:
1943mike
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:18 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
An excellent panorama with lovely landscape and clouds, Mike! The larger image reveals the fine job you did putting these images together.

by Carol Clarke on Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:19 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Well worth clicking on the link for the larger image to see the amazing content and detail of this beautiful view!  I don't remember seeing this one before, Mike - but I'm glad you're sharing it now, its stunning.  Everything, from the clouds, to the gorgeous light kissing the landscape and the wonderful composition, is a real pleasure to see.  I could lose myself in this panorama for quite a while, and your stitching looks superb.  Well done!   :)

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by 1943mike on Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:29 pm
1943mike
Forum Contributor
Ron and Carol,

Thank you both for your kind words. Unfortunately I cannot take credit for what Photoshop does so well! I actually used to manually stitch images together in Photoshop many years ago but the software as PS exists today is more accurate and can do more to "clean up" my images than I now have the patience to attempt myself.

I was not as steady as I had thought I was when capturing the original images ... so when I redid the panorama yesterday I made sure I used all at my disposal when working with PS to create a panorama - geometric distortion and content aware both checked in the application. It is not perfect but, with some minor manual work, can give a creditable representation of what I saw.

Again, just so I'm not given credit where it's not due :).

Thanks again,
Mike

by Carol Clarke on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:13 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
You are too modest, Mike.  You took the photos, you had a vision of the way you wanted them to show what you saw that day, and used the tools available to help reproduce this panorama.  Its beautiful.  I repeat again - Well done!   :)

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:15 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Carol Clarke wrote:Well worth clicking on the link for the larger image to see the amazing content and detail of this beautiful view!  I don't remember seeing this one before, Mike - but I'm glad you're sharing it now, its stunning.  Everything, from the clouds, to the gorgeous light kissing the landscape and the wonderful composition, is a real pleasure to see.  I could lose myself in this panorama for quite a while, and your stitching looks superb.  Well done!   :)

Carol.
Agree 100%!  This is a "must see" enlarged. Thank you for the wonderful tour!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

6 posts |