Posing on the Corner

Posted by Jens Peermann on Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
I went to a hopelessly overphotographed location with the intention to get a unique image. I think I did. But it wasn't because I was completely in control of everything. Which may have been a blessing…

A7R2, Zeiss 135/f2 APO Sonnar @ f/5.6
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:38 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Love it! (Love The Eagles)!!  

I say you got a unique twist on the usual photos taken on this spot, and I really like the silhouettes of the statue and 'friend' with that iconic background, Jens!   Brilliant.  Well done!   :)

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:22 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wish you had included the full eagle on the window ledge, but a great take on this iconic corner. Is the flatbed Ford still parked on the street?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by John Labrenz on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:52 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Awesome!
Love the shadows and silhouettes

by Jens Peermann on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Wish you had included the full eagle on the window ledge, but a great take on this iconic corner. Is the flatbed Ford still parked on the street?

Joe
I was trying to get the eagle in, but it would have compromised other parts that I considered more important. The Flatbed Ford is still parked on the street.

by Jens Peermann on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:Awesome!
The silhouette was the part beyond my control. I'd never been to this location before and planned for a shoot in the first morning light. When I got there I found a 2 story building across the street blocking the sunlight on the whole scene. That's when I got the idea of waiting for the sun to get up high enough to render the building facade illuminated and leave the statue in the shade. Then, just before the sunlight was all the way down on the facade, this lady walks in to pose for her boyfriend to take a picture of her. I took a few frames of that, just to kill time until the light was all the way down, and then take the shot I wanted. Which I did.

Looking at the images in post, I saw that some light had reflected from the windows and put some little highlights on her hair, the sculpture's shoulder, her calf and the base of the lamp post. This, along with the story the scene tells, made me use the image I took for killing time over the one I had intended.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Sometimes things all come together and work out better than we could have ever planned! This is certainly one of those times. Thanks for your answers. For those unfamiliar with the story, this link was provided by the late Gary Briney in a long ago post:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_It_Easy#Winslow.2C_Arizona

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I am not familiar with this place, but it looks very interesting. Just looked it up- still wondering how it all came about...

Very cool shot, anyway.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Jens Peermann on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:59 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:I am not familiar with this place, but it looks very interesting. Just looked it up- still wondering how it all came about...

Very cool shot, anyway.

This scene is on a street corner (one of the streets being the famous Route 66) in Winslow, Arizona. It is in reference to a line in the Eagles' song "Take it Easy", "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona". One of the "people" in it is a sculpture of a musician and his guitar, the other, a lady posing for a picture, is a real person who walked in while I was getting ready to take this shot. The windows and what is in them are painted onto the wall (yep, they're not real windows), and refer to other lines in that song, like the girl (good lord) in a flatbed Ford (there is another, real flatbed Ford parked on the street, out of the frame here).

by John Labrenz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Jens Peermann wrote:
The silhouette was the part beyond my control. I'd never been to this location before and planned for a shoot in the first morning light. When I got there I found a 2 story building across the street blocking the sunlight on the whole scene. That's when I got the idea of waiting for the sun to get up high enough to render the building facade illuminated and leave the statue in the shade. Then, just before the sunlight was all the way down on the facade, this lady walks in to pose for her boyfriend to take a picture of her. I took a few frames of that, just to kill time until the light was all the way down, and then take the shot I wanted. Which I did.

Looking at the images in post, I saw that some light had reflected from the windows and put some little highlights on her hair, the sculpture's shoulder, her calf and the base of the lamp post. This, along with the story the scene tells, made me use the image I took for killing time over the one I had intended.
It may have been beyond your control...but you were there at the right time and took advantage of this!
I keep coming back to this image...it brings back great memories....love it!

by Jens Peermann on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:33 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:
Jens Peermann wrote:

It may have been beyond your control...but you were there at the right time and took advantage of this!
I keep coming back to this image...it brings back great memories....love it!
Thanks for your kind words, John. I appreciate it.

by Eia on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 am
Eia
Forum Contributor
The coolest over photographed photos of this place I have seen.  A perfect post card! Now, I can’t get the song out of my head!  :)
~AnnaMaria~

12 posts |