Outdoor pool - Hearst Castle

Posted by 1943mike on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Canon 10D, 17-40 @ 17mm, 1/600 sec., f/5.6, ISO 400.

A bit anti-climactic but I'd mentioned when I posted the image of the indoor pool that I'd post one of the outdoor pool as well.

No excuses, I just didn't get the files I should have to create the final image shown here. My fault. Still, it's nice to see how the other half used to live.

Here's a larger file:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50000419806_5466f3ccad_k.jpg

Mike

Posted by:
1943mike
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:51 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What amazes me about this is how modern it looks. I could be a pool from a fancy mansion or something. Quite an interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing the "other half"..in all ways !
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:23 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The wide-angle view in the high resolution image is stunning, Mike. In the foreground, the design of the tile on the bottom of the pool is beautiful, and the leading lines in the middle of the pool guide your eye to the architecture in the background. Well done!

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:49 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Not as stunning (for me) as Hearst's indoor pool, but considering it was completed around 1947 it looks in a good state of repair!  I wonder if he actually ever used either of them? or were they just for show and to entertain his Hollywood hangers on....  :) 

Its another world, Mike!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by 1943mike on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:35 pm
1943mike
Forum Contributor
Ron, Carol, and Cynthia,

Thanks for the comments.

When I lived in southern California (Altadena/Pasadena area) I used to take trips up the coast during winter break stopping at Pismo Beach (to shoot the Monarch Butterflies), San Simeon (the Hearst Castle), and Piedras Blancas to photograph the Elephant Seals. After having moved up here to Oregon I haven't kept up that routine - too long a drive and not as many butterflies as there once were at Pismo Beach. Maybe someday if the numbers of Monarchs grow considerably ....?

Here's some info on both the pools:

https://hearstcastle.org/history-behind ... tle/pools/

Mike

by Jens Peermann on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Not as stunning (for me) as Hearst's indoor pool, but considering it was completed around 1947 it looks in a good state of repair!  I wonder if he actually ever used either of them? or were they just for show and to entertain his Hollywood hangers on....  :) 

Its another world, Mike!

Carol.
When I lived in nearby Redondo Beach (and before the new Getty Center was completed) I was a regular visitor to this Place. I got to know some of the employees behind the scenes (art historians and such) and learned some not so official facts about J.P.Getty and this place. It was his favorite home and after it was made open to the public as a museum he continued to live in a small house in the garden behind the main building. So, it's hard to imagine he never used those pools himself. And he is still there - in a way - his corpse being buried in an unmarked location in this very garden that was his home during his final years.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

6 posts |