Angels Landing - Zion NP

Posted by 1943mike on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Created 7/11/2008; Canon 5D, 24-105 f/4 @24mm, 1/200 sec., f/8, ISO: 100

On my way up (when I was living in Pasadena, CA) to Yellowstone in the summer of 2008 I stopped by Zion for a quick hike. I'm not particularly scared of heights but I did make it a point NOT to look down at certain sections of this hike. It's not for those with acrophobia.

Here's a link to a larger image:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49628072803_c8952f7fe8_h.jpg

I was a bit shaky at the top so it may not be the sharpest image I've ever created. It shows one side of the valley below from the landing.

Mike

Posted by:
1943mike
Forum Contributor

by AForns on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:56 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
I can see why but you did get fairly close to the edge !!! Love the perspective !!!
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by 1943mike on Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 am
1943mike
Forum Contributor
AForns wrote:I can see why but you did get fairly close to the edge !!!  Love the perspective !!!
Alfred,

I really wasn't too close to the edge as far as safety was concerned. I stayed just far enough away so that if I lost my balance (had a middle aged dizzy spell :) ) I wouldn't have fallen off the precipice.

It's always been a popular hike but even more so lately. Unfortunately there are a lot of people nowadays who believe they are invincible and that nothing bad can happen to them (thinking about myself as a very young man) who take unnecessary risks and endanger themselves and others on that and other trails that require sober reflection before attempting them.

As I mentioned, Angels Landing is not for the faint of heart. If it's done with respect and a modicum of common sense it's a rewarding hike. However there have been several deaths of people having fallen off the trail over the years so it's not for those who carry selfie sticks on a very challenging and seriously risky trail.

Here's a perspective from one person on that trek:

https://utah.com/breathtaking-but-deadly-how-to-safely-hike-angels-landing

Mike

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:49 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Makes ME dizzy to look at, even from a "safe" computer! Maybe it should be called "Devil's Landing"! Impressive shot!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:28 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Wonderful perspective, Mike. My knees have turned to jello just looking at that view!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ed Cordes on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Certainly, like was said, a great perspective showing scale and depth. I like the winding stream at the bottom.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

6 posts |