Colombine Lake, Mineral King area, Sequoia National Park

Posted by 1943mike on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Canon 10D, 17-40 f/4 @17mm, 1/640 sec., ISO: 200, f/11

Another image from another Bastille day - this time 2004. I was set up to spend my third night in the 25+ mile Franklin Pass to Sawtooth Pass loop. I'd not seen another soul for two of the 3 days I'd been backpacking. I wasn't feeling chipper since, for some reason or other I was a little altitude sick even though most of my hiking had been between 8,000 and, at the lake, 10,000 feet elevation. I suppose it may have been because I was 61 years old at that time and had pushed myself to climb the first pass (Franklin Pass) before finding a campsite. Both passes are above 12,500 feet and that first day may have contributed to my feeling a little out of sorts for the remainder of my trek. Two women, a mother and daughter, camped nearby that night. I was very grateful they showed up because the next morning they were gracious enough to help me get my pack up a ledge while I was standing in a stream one must cross to get to the use paths for going over Sawtooth. My tent and my sleeping bag (airing out) are in the right foreground. My bear canister is on a ledge in middle foreground.

No longer a backpacker. Just a day hiker.

Mike

Posted by:
1943mike
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I am not a backpacker or camper but I can certainly see the appeal for those that do, especially when you are able to spend time in such amazing places, Mike - although I would hope that trees and vegetation weren't too far away further down.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Thanks for sharing this Mike. Lots of info and insights in the differing worlds we all experience and share. Thank you.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ed Cordes on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:42 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Beautiful image and a beautiful memory.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

4 posts |