St Paul, Akl

Posted by AForns on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
A must place for bird photography, so far have to say has been my favorite and hoping to return fairly soon.  View of entire town !!

Getting in and out is the main problem traveling to St Paul.  Heavy fog prevents the plane landing, weekly they average two trips unable to arrive.  Normally you fly a Saab-340,  flies North from Anchorage for about one hour for extra fuel, then on to St Paul.  Allows extra time circling the airport in case of fog.

Accommodations are a problem but understand the Hotel is back in action ... I'm using the work "Hotel" loosely :) , also don't think you have to have meals at the cannery ... GREAT.   Food was good but smell was intensely fowl !!
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

Posted by:
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233

by Carol Clarke on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:04 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Great description, Al! From what you say, you must really want to go there to make the journey...... and brave the edge of the world, location and facilities!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:57 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Tanks for the travel info, Al. Think I'll pass! But a great photo with those bone-like entry logs in the foreground. You sure go to some amazing places!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

3 posts |