Getting to Yellowstone in Winter

Posted by AForns on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Driving from Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone is an adventure in Winter !!  We actually started In Cody, Wy and drove all the way around ending back up in Cody.

The worst part of the trip is crossing the Teton Pass which is one dangerous road in Winter, check it out doing a search.  Road is often closed due to snow and snow markers on the side of the road are twelve feet high.  With steep roads, elevation 8400+ feet and curvy, gave me plenty of thought.

The road following the pass is US 20E which the road shown on image.   Great road with little traffic, you could go far miles without seeing a car or anything else for that mater :)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

Posted by:
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:22 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Bleak! Award for bravery! Not a place for a breakdown or running out of gas. I guess Vermont looks like this now and then...just not 8400 ft high and not arrow straight. Maybe 1000 feet where I live.... :)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by AForns on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:50 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Cindy Vermont is plenty dangerous, riding over the bridges in winter is no fun. Some get ice from all that metal and have seen plenty of crashes.

btw did a week bicycle tour end of November first of October and hat snow. When I got up in the morning, looked outside, the bird bath was frozen....temp 17 degrees. A couple of days later did warm up a bit
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by david fletcher on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:43 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Thanks for sharing this. A testament to dedication and sensible precautions.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
This takes me right back to when I lived in North Scotland. When you're the first along a road after a heavy snowfall it can be quite daunting to even see where the sides of the road are!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Mark Boranyak on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Yikes. Not sure I would want to drive in that, although it doesn't' look all that different than some Kansas roads in winter. That's why I spend winters in Tucson.

Al, so glad to see your posts and photos on NSN again. Both enrich the website.

Mark

by AForns on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:00 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Mark Boranyak wrote:Yikes. Not sure I would want to drive in that, although it doesn't' look all that different than some Kansas roads in winter. That's why I spend winters in Tucson.

Al, so glad to see your posts and photos on NSN again. Both enrich the website.

Mark

Thanks Mark, glad to be back.
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

Yogi Berra

7 posts |