Sunset Sagauro

Posted by Eia on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
This was taken at sunset a few days before the monster storm hit Arizona. Yesterday this was dusted with snow and much more five miles north of here. The Saguaro are full and plump with all the rain we have had.
~AnnaMaria~

Posted by:
Eia
Forum Contributor

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:30 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A split neutral density filter would have been an asset to this image. The skies are a bit light. Can be done in PP, I’M sure. I was hoping you guys in AZ had a chance to get some shots of the snow covered saguaro. I saw them near Phoenix on the news. It was quite a storm, especially near Flagstaff.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Eia on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:A split neutral density filter would have been an asset to this image. The skies are a bit light. Can be done in PP, I’M sure. I was hoping you guys in AZ had a chance to get some shots of the snow covered saguaro. I saw them near Phoenix on the news. It was quite a storm, especially near Flagstaff.

Joe
Thanks Joe for the suggestion; appreciate it and will try that. A funny story is that I had my dog on a leash and he saw a rabbit or something and went for it jerking me when I was in camera settings. Somehow I inadvertently reformatted the card. I used a recover program but lost all my RAW and the program must have converted or saved them in jpg with no information. So - I can say that the dog ate my homework. ;) I have many pics of this area covered with snow. Just north of the peak was almost a white out. At least eight inches. We knew a place where most people would not be. Will post them soon i hope. Payson was ground zero. here is a quick snap of husband and dog to show the snow and deeper in other areas.

~AnnaMaria~

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:29 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Great scene-really well composed. Looks like an old postcard. Love the colors and light. Cute picture of hubby and that "bad" dog too. ;). Do the Saguaro suffer in a snowstorm? I am quite taken by this photo!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very nice Sonoran Desert photograph. The weather sure was crazy, had Ice on the roads in Chandler yesterday morning. Snow came almost to the ground in Gold Canyon on Friday night, and, as you know, Fountain Hills got quite a bit of snow.

by Eia on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:36 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Great scene-really well composed. Looks like an old postcard. Love the colors and light. Cute picture of hubby and that "bad" dog too. ;).  Do the Saguaro suffer in a snowstorm?  I am quite taken by this photo!

Thank you much. Generally they do not suffer; they are pretty hardy except with fires and stupid people. I have seen a few beaver tail cacti that are saturated and plump with moisture and they get so heavy that the pads fall off. Saguaro have a long life span. Usually it takes 75 years to grow its first arm. Some have been around for a hundred years... so I've heard.
~AnnaMaria~

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:08 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Eia wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Great scene-really well composed. Looks like an old postcard. Love the colors and light. Cute picture of hubby and that "bad" dog too. ;).  Do the Saguaro suffer in a snowstorm?  I am quite taken by this photo!

Thank you much. Generally they do not suffer; they are pretty hardy except with fires and stupid people. I have seen a few beaver tail cacti that are saturated and plump with moisture and they get so heavy that the pads fall off. Saguaro have a long life span. Usually it takes 75 years to grow its first arm. Some have been around for a hundred years... so I've heard.
Thanks AnnaMaria- glad to know they are survivors!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:07 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Crazy weather and just not what you expect to see in your area, AnnaMaria! A really well composed and lovely scene in such sweet light. Well done!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:24 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
I'd agree with Joe on the sky, but I'd do the correction digitally. A split ND or ND grad would darken the tops of the cacti as well as the sky, but a digital combination of exposures (either HDR or just one for the sky and one for the foreground) allows you to target all the right spots.

I really like the light on the cacti--bringing out the background and sky would really make a wonderful image out of this.
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

9 posts |