Windmills

Posted by Gene Gwin on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Photographed in Oklahoma November 19, 2018.

Nikon D810, Sigma 24-105 lens, 1/1250 sec at f/6.3, ISO 100.

These windmills are popping up all over the place in Texas and Oklahoma.  I understand the need for renewable energy, but I do not like to see them pretty much ruin the beauty of the countryside.  Also, do not know the impact to wildlife?  A good side of these windmills is that they supplement the income of family farms and ranchers, allowing the land to remain in their family, instead of the land being sold to large corporations.

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Nice illustration of the effect on landscape Gene. So many debatable points with windmills. Would there be oil rigs on the land otherwise, for instance? Some people would think them beautiful....maybe the next generation will take them in stride.
My understanding about birds is that at least some operators are slowing their blades or stopping them at appropriate times, like in migration, to cut down on bird mortality. Some may even have sensors....

I prefer to see solar arrays-still not pretty, but at least (I think) less destructive. These windmills are noisy too!

I'm all for farmers keeping their land in farming, if this is what it takes....

Anyway, a good shot for generating debate!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gene Gwin on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:53 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Nice illustration of the effect on landscape Gene. So many debatable points with windmills. Would there be oil rigs on the land otherwise, for instance? Some people would think them beautiful....maybe the next generation will take them in stride.
My understanding about birds is that at least some operators are slowing their blades or stopping them at appropriate times, like in migration, to cut down on bird mortality. Some may even have sensors....

I prefer to see solar arrays-still not pretty, but at least (I think) less destructive. These windmills are noisy too!

I'm all for farmers keeping their land in farming, if this is what it takes....

Anyway, a good shot for generating debate!
Cynthia, You're probably right about the younger generation.  My Son doesn't see anything wrong with them and doesn't mind the way they look.  He's also an electrical engineer, maybe that has something to do with it?

by Carol Clarke on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:50 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
As we are an island, these wind turbines can be found all over the place making the most of the winds from all directions, so I guess we are becoming used to them.  At least they have a very low carbon footprint and much better than burning fossil fuels.  If we can just make them invisible..........

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

4 posts |