Private Workshop

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
While going through some old scans, I came across this one from around 1994. It is a self-portrait(notice cable release in my left hand) taken at the Las Conchas Day Use Area in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico just west of the beautiful Valles Caldera National Monument. It is the location where the swimming hole scene in the movie "Wild Hogs" was shot, and a beautiful area. These Golden Mantled Ground Squirrels are a favorite subject of mine.
Nikon F4, Nikon 28-85mm (I believe), probably Velvia film, nothing else recorded or recalled.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:07 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Hey, you never told us you were a squirrel whisperer, Joe!  What a wonderful image.  :D 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Hey, you never told us you were a squirrel whisperer, Joe!  What a wonderful image.  :D 

Carol.
I have a bunch of Curve-billed Thrashers that come up to me or call to me to tell me it's time to give them more peanuts. I have handheld phone images at about 10'' away from one Thrasher when he was right next to me. My wife says I have a way with animals. I just think they know I won't harm them. Thanks for your comments, Carol.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
That's wonderful Joe! Those squirrels look like they are just waiting for their own mug shots...or taking them! Thanks for sharing!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:03 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:Hey, you never told us you were a squirrel whisperer, Joe!  What a wonderful image.  :D 

Carol.
I have a bunch of Curve-billed Thrashers that come up to me or call to me to tell me it's time to give them more peanuts. I have handheld phone images at about 10'' away from one Thrasher when he was right next to me. My wife says I have a way with animals. I just think they know I won't harm them. Thanks for your comments, Carol.

Joe

I think you're right, Joe.  Some people are intent on just ticking species off their 'must see' list.  I always feel that time spent with animals is a real learning experience, just as important, if not more so, than time spent taking pictures.  When they learn to trust and accept you its priceless and a real privilege. 8) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:08 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Carol Clarke wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Carol.

Joe

I think you're right, Joe.  I always feel that time spent with animals is just as important, if not more so, than time spent taking pictures.  When they learn to trust and accept you is priceless and a real privilege. 8) 

Carol.
Beautiful! I agree 100%. I remember when I used to hand feed the chickadees here-how magical to feel their little feet on my hand, and their quizzical glances at me. I had to always carry sunflower seeds in my pocket as they'd follow me around during walks in the woods and land on my head! Is there anything more precious than that unforgettable sense of universal connection?  However short those moments may be, they create indelible, delightful memories. 
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Carol.

Joe
Pleasure to see Joe.  Thanks for sharing
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Jens Peermann on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
How did you get those guys to sign up for your class? :wink:
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:41 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Peanuts from a PayDay candy bar!!!! Pretty dire when you have to pay your students to attend your workshops!

Joe

9 posts |