Sunrise Droning

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Sonoran Boulders - Arizona
DJI Mavic Pro, 5mm, ISO 100, f/2.2, 1/1200s
I am blown away by the recoverable dynamic range of the little Mavic Pro sensor which is the same 12mp point and shoot camera sensor that many of the remaining small sensor point and shoot cameras use.  When I downloaded the DNG RAW file from the drone, the foreground was nearly sillhouetted but I was able to raise the shadows by 2 stops to get this without an excessive amount of noise and recovering a ton of detail.  I hope the rumors are true that the Mavic Pro II will use the Sony 1" sensor used in the RX 100 V as that will open up all sorts of new capability but for what it is, this is fairly impressive.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:49 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Stunning! So this was taken from a drone? Not familiar with the technology or techniques. A whole new world of photography for sure. Curious why this is in T&C rather than Landscapes. Not that I mind-just wondering.... A "Must click", by the way.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The dirt road ;)

by Carol Clarke on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:04 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
The quality of the shots is incredible! Forgive my ignorance of drone photography, but do you have any control from the ground on the settings while its in flight? or do you pre-set, and then let it fly, or just let it do its own thing from take off to landing? I am intrigued!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Carol Clarke wrote:The quality of the shots is incredible!  Forgive my ignorance of drone photography, but do you have any control from the ground on the settings while its in flight? or do you pre-set, and then let it fly, or just let it do its own thing from take off to landing?  I am intrigued!  

Carol.
I have complete control of everything, all aspects of the flight in real time, the camera, the exposure.  You hook a smart phone or a tablet to the flight controller and then you see whatever the drone sees and pilot it as basically a remote control helicopter.  The controller also has camera controls so you decide where to take the photos and compose them by being able to control where the camera is pointing, up down, left right, etc....  The camera shoots in RAW format and has the equivalent of a 28mm lens.  DJI just came out with the Mavic Pro 2 which has a MUCH better Hasselblad branded camera with a Sony sensor.  I may have to get one of those :)

by Carol Clarke on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 am
Carol Clarke
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:The quality of the shots is incredible!  Forgive my ignorance of drone photography, but do you have any control from the ground on the settings while its in flight? or do you pre-set, and then let it fly, or just let it do its own thing from take off to landing?  I am intrigued!  

Carol.
I have complete control of everything, all aspects of the flight in real time, the camera, the exposure.  You hook a smart phone or a tablet to the flight controller and then you see whatever the drone sees and pilot it as basically a remote control helicopter.  The controller also has camera controls so you decide where to take the photos and compose them by being able to control where the camera is pointing, up down, left right, etc....  The camera shoots in RAW format and has the equivalent of a 28mm lens.  DJI just came out with the Mavic Pro 2 which has a MUCH better Hasselblad branded camera with a Sony sensor.  I may have to get one of those :)

Thank you.  Just what I wanted to know.  Sounds fantastic! Looking at the MP2, I would say it would be a 'must have' for your capable hands.  8)   The tracking and obstacle avoidance features are also great.  I guess you have to remember its 30 mins (approx) flying time, so you don't set it off and watch it vanish over the horizon, but this may be going on a Clarke wish list.  :D

Carol.
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
30 minutes is longer than the original Mavic Pro which is what I have.  It goes into auto return mode when it calculates that it needs to come back or run out of battery.  It's fairly conservative so it will let you override it up to a point but there comes a point where you no longer have a choice and it returns to its launch point.

Also, it's 30 minutes at 21C, if it's a lot colder, it can be a lot less.  I launched mine in temps around -3C once and it started warning me almost immediately and auto returned after about 5 minutes.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:09 pm
Carol Clarke
Clever little thing, isn't it!  I think its sweet that it returned to 'dad' when it thought it was too cold. :)   I was wondering about the sort of views we might get in Scotland, Highlands - Glen Etive, or on Isle of Skye.  Could be amazing, but probably not in winter!

Carol.
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

8 posts |