Pu'u Pehe Sweetheart Rock Aerial Panorama

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:02 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Manele Bay - Lanai, Hawaii
DJI Macic Pro, 3 stitched frames, ISO 100, f/2.2, 1/130s

This morning the winds finally were down to a level that I could trust my droning skills in gusty conditions after several days of waiting.  I am currently on the island of Lanai, the last island in the Hawaiian Islands that are accessible to haole's like me that I hadn't photographed.  I plan on writing a fully updated guide to photographing the islands of Hawaii (this was my 22nd trip to the islands in the last 35 years).  This is Pu'u Pehe or Sweetheart Rock in English literally seconds after the sun cleared Maui to the east this morning creating a super saturated landscape.  I actually had to tone things down a bit to fit into the sRGB spectrum for posting.  I am standing at the edge of the cliff, essentially dead center in the photograph.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:03 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Wow- amazing color, EJ. Very dramatic. A MUST click, and even then, this should be seen on a large wall, I think. I trust the volcanic ash is not blowing around this island? The sky looks pretty clear. Did you visit the mainland?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Wow- amazing color, EJ. Very dramatic. A MUST click, and even then, this should be seen on a large wall, I think. I trust the volcanic ash is not blowing around this island? The sky looks pretty clear. Did you visit the mainland?
The ash plume misses the other islands as the prevailing winds are from the northeast blowing to the southwest while all the other islands are northwest of the Big Island of Hawaii.  Interestingly, there was a winter storm advisory on the Big Island yesterday causes by all of the vapor going into the atmosphere rising, cooling freezing and dropping as freezing rain and snow in the high elevations of the Big island.  I think you meant Big Island, not mainland - the mainland is the 48 states ;)  I did not visit the Big Island on this trip - I've been there many times and right now you really can't go to the volcano areas.

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What a fantastic view, and if you are standing in the centre on that cliff, it puts a whole new perspective on the dreaded 'selfie!'

Wonderful depth and detail.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Wow- amazing color, EJ. Very dramatic. A MUST click, and even then, this should be seen on a large wall, I think. I trust the volcanic ash is not blowing around this island? The sky looks pretty clear. Did you visit the mainland?
The ash plume misses the other islands as the prevailing winds are from the northeast blowing to the southwest while all the other islands are northwest of the Big Island of Hawaii.  Interestingly, there was a winter storm advisory on the Big Island yesterday causes by all of the vapor going into the atmosphere rising, cooling freezing and dropping as freezing rain and snow in the high elevations of the Big island.  I think you meant Big Island, not mainland - the mainland is the 48 states ;)  I did not visit the Big Island on this trip - I've been there many times and right now you really can't go to the volcano areas.
Oops-yes, I meant the Big Island....not familiar with the territory, as it were..... :oops:
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by TonyPrower on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:54 am
TonyPrower
Forum Contributor
Wonderful light!
Driven by a passion for Iceland and photography https://www.icelandaurora.com/

6 posts |