1880, different view

Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Here is the barn I posted a bit ago with most of the snow off the roof. Taken in 2013, so trees were smaller. You can pretty much read the date on the barn.

Panasonic LX-7, 1/400,f/2.8/ISO 80
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733

by Carol Clarke on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Those trees have grown nicely!  

Do these barns have more than one floor for storage of grain sacks etc. above, and straw below, or maybe livestock/horses below - or are they just a tall open building inside, for hay/straw storage?  Its nice to see the detail here, is the structure all wood?  

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Carol Clarke wrote:Those trees have grown nicely!  

Do these barns have more than one floor for storage of grain sacks etc. above, and straw below, or maybe livestockhorses below - or are they just a tall open building inside, for hay/straw storage?  Its nice to see the detail here, is the structure all wood?  

Carol.
Hi Carol

New England barns vary greatly- this one seems to have several entrances, the top right is probably where animals went in from the pasture, and tractors could drive in too.  Hay storage was generally in lofts, though a lot of barns had silos-most of them have fallen down. I am not sure if this barn was in use -it certainly doesn't to be operational now.  I hope this barn stays standing!

Red painted wood seems to be typical for barns, with a white farmhouse. I hope this barn stays standing- the roof is unusual.
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 am
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
This old barn has such great character and is so unique, Cindy. Love the date on the roof — so classic!

by Carol Clarke on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:Those trees have grown nicely!  

Do these barns have more than one floor for storage of grain sacks etc. above, and straw below, or maybe livestockhorses below - or are they just a tall open building inside, for hay/straw storage?  Its nice to see the detail here, is the structure all wood?  

Carol.
Hi Carol

New England barns vary greatly- this one seems to have several entrances, the top right is probably where animals went in from the pasture, and tractors could drive in too.  Hay storage was generally in lofts, though a lot of barns had silos-most of them have fallen down. I am not sure if this barn was in use -it certainly doesn't to be operational now.  I hope this barn stays standing!

Red painted wood seems to be typical for barns, with a white farmhouse. I hope this barn stays standing- the roof is unusual.
Thanks!  I used to love looking in these old buildings when I was a child - perhaps not the wise thing to do now........
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Eia on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Another classic and the unclear date gives added interest. Who cannot like old barns.... an appreciated image.
~AnnaMaria~

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 am
Cynthia Crawford
Eia wrote:Another classic and the unclear date gives added interest. Who cannot like old barns.... an appreciated image.
Thanks AnnaMaria! Appreciate your comments!

7 posts |