Palouse relics and allow me to indulge in a rant!

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
The Palouse - Washington
a7R Mk II, 24-70mm @ 24mm, ISO 200, f/9, 1/320

This is a well known falling down barn in the Palouse that is often photographed.  The owner has parked a lot of abandoned relics in its yard to make it more interesting.  He asks people to stay off of the relics and barn and photograph from the street - it is clearly marked as such.  However, some photographers don't seem to respect this person's wishes regarding his private property.  When I arrived here, a photo workshop of about 12 people and nearly as many cars was here and some of the people completely ignored the signs - it's pretty clear that it would be a major liability due to the implements and the condition of the barn and people should stay away from these items as it would just be a matter of time before somebody got seriously hurt.  To add insult to injury, one person was flying a drone not only over this area but also over the actual working farm on the other side of the street.  At one point I witnessed the drone flyer coming down to eye-level altitude right at the opening of a barn where people were working inside on a private farm.  I took a few photos including this one from the road and decided to get out of there since I did not want to be falsely associated with this out of control workshop.  As I was pulling away, the owner came out on an ATV and confronted the folks on the workshop - as I was driving away a discussion between him and someone in the group was beginning.  This is the kind of $#!+ that gives photography a bad name and results more and more places being off limits.  While there I communicated with a couple of responsible workshop leaders whom I know and they were observing similar and even worse things.  In another photo I'll tell another terrible photography behavior story that I witnessed while in the Palouse.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Mike in O on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I don't understand the herd mentality of everyone shooting the same thing. Just cross into Oregon and shoot to your heart's content, lot of dryland winter wheat farms.

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
You're preaching to the converted here E.J. Don't get me started on the ignorant and downright stupid behaviour of some of our fellow humans...........
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by jtanner on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:46 am
jtanner
Forum Contributor
Great Composition!! Your story is just one of many reasons I stray far from the beaten path.

by Jeff Munoz on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 am
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
There is always people who doesn't understand privacy, good to know you are still around to show them the meaning of respect. Great shot as always E.J.
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

5 posts |